99 Denham St, Rockhampton Q 4700
Ph: 07 4922 4833
www.barrajacks.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 10 Sep 10

Post by Brad » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:46 pm

OFFSHORE
Going off like a frog in a sock this last week good fish too Reds, Trout, and the odd Big Mackerel have been the order of the day. These fish have come from 70 to 80 km offshore so inside the shoals, if the weather lets you get out there, the tides will be large and the water will run but the fish are there and will be for a while to come. Inshore the cobia have been thick so expect them to be here for a few months yet.

AWOONGA DAM
I haven’t talked to Johnny Mitchell for a couple of weeks but if last year is anything to go by he must be getting geared up as the full moon in September last year was the kick off and as it has been a tad warmer this year. I expect it will be the same but with way more water. Get those lures dusted off you’re gunna need them…

CANIA DAM (Helen)
I spoke with Helen at length as she camped at our place this week on her way to Townsville to get on a sailing boat and sail off into the sunset for 2 weeks { lucky bitch } I thought to myself. Anyway she tells me they have been catching some fish in the dam so all may not be lost out there and there is also a rumour that they starting the hatchery up again great news. When Helen finally gets back we will update you on what’s going on but she tells me there some bass still in the dam and some big silver’s as well.

FITZROY RIVER
Well I was about to tell you just how fantastic the river was fishing and that we had not seen this many barra for quiet some years plenty of customers have been coming in and telling us about the Barra they have been catching, and blokes that have never caught a Barra have been getting 5 or 6 fish on softies and hard bodies. So we know they are there. The hiccup that’s coming is from rain in the west very unseasonal I might say and unfortunately this will mean the barrage gates will be open and the water will run fresh the water quality is the concern it will be dirty as and likely to remain so until the season close 1st nov. This doesn’t mean you can’t catch a fish but in this river it makes it so much harder…

CORIO BAY
Should be fishing very well this time of year expect to catch the full array of species, Flathead, Bream Whiting, Salmon, Queenfish, Barra, Jacks, it would be possible to get 10 species on the one day. There’s a challenge for someone. The best I have done was 9 here are the species remember they all count Cod, Flat Salmon, Flathead, Queenfish, Stargazer, Bream,Whiting, Fingermark, and a green toad. Like I said all species count.
COOROOMAN CREEK
The easiest way to fish the creek is from a tinnie but there are some good fish to be had from the bank if you know when and where to fish, so it should come as no surprise to you that you don’t fish as the water is leaving the creek. Now that I’ve said that I know there will be someone out there that caught there biggest flathead ever on the out going tide, lets just say you increase your chances of catching a fish if you fish the incoming tide, and there are some very simple reasons for this:- 1. With new water comes the food in the shape of bait fish making there way upstream with the tide. 2. As with the baitfish bigger fish also use the tide to get around the estuary so salmon, grunter, and bream also make there way around using the run in the water to help them. 3. And because you are there at low tide waiting to fish find a spot that you think would be attractive to fish say a small group of oyster rocks just out off the bank about 20mtrs and if they have some depth of water around them at low water then you can bet there will be a fish hiding behind them as the water runs in it’s a perfect place for an ambush Barra country. Be careful at Coorooman Creek as there are croc’s in the system as there are in most of the estuary’s up this way.

PORT ALMA
This place should go off its nut over the next month look out for the Barra they will be the hot item best places to find them will be at the drains on the dropping tide and at the rock bars on the in coming and top of the tides. Good luck.

CAUSEWAY LAKE
Perfect weather conditions for fishing the Causeway Lake system, windy offshore so the lake is protected, cold south westerly’s clean up the water and overcast so you don’t get too burnt, and just plain miserable so chances are you will have the place to yourself. Go, enjoy, there will be flathead in the lake along with Jacks, Grunter, Bream, winter is the best time to fish the causeway but the barra which are in there are a bit sluggish.

BEDFORD WEIR BLACKWATER (Matthew)
Very Quiet, a few reports of Toga on small poppers in the quiet water and a few red claw kicking around.

COMET RIVER (Matthew)
Currently in flood, that should move a few redclaw around.
CHARTER BOATS - KONOMIE DREAMING AND SPIRIT
Been the best couple of weeks we have seen in ages plenty of reds and the trout have been playing the game as well. Now is the time to get ready to book those Christmas parties, and end of year party’s.

UPCOMING FISHING COMPS
Unfortunately the following fishing comps have been cancelled due to the minor flood levels being experienced in the river system’s Saratoga Classic, at Baralaba, And the Barra Bounty.
The good news is the Carlton Mid Rich fish Promotion will still go ahead so although the river will experience a minor flood the fish will still be tagged and the $ 10,000 will still be up for grabs.