Barra Jacks
99 Denham St, Rockhampton Q 4700
Ph: 07 4922 4833
www.barrajacks.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 2 Nov 12

Post by Brad » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:53 pm

WELCOME to our NEW Reporter MATT for Rockhampton and surrounding areas...I thing you will agree this is great information for all fishermen!

Hello Rockhampton, Yeppoon and surrounding areas.
Well what a week it has been for fishing, with 5 out of the last 7 days producing perfect spring weather to wet a line. And looking at the boat ramp and car park at Rosslyn Bay last week end, it appears lots of keen anglers took advantage of the fantastic conditions. One point to remember though is to make sure your boat is prepared before backing it down the ramp. There is nothing more frustrating when the ramp is backed up, then having a boat hooking up rods, moving eskies and playing with the boat when there are a line up of other people trying to get into the water. Especially with the amount of traffic Rosslyn Bay has on a good day, lets get prepared before hand to try and avoid ramp rage. Reports over the last week have been just as fantastic as the weather.

Offshore:
Lots of large boats took advantage of the weather and were able to push out to the wide grounds, shoals and fern country, with most boats reporting good catches of the usual reefies. Some large reds were taken off the wider rubble patches and fern beds. Although there wasn't quantity in the catches there was definitely quality with some thumping red fish caught. Reports from the shoals were also good with most boats returning with a mixed bag of lipper, reds, red throat and trout. Also reports of some decent spanos working around the edges of the shoals. Sunday saw the winds blowing westerly offshore in the morning and i don't know what it is about westerly winds but the fish shut down the instant the winds swing west. Mid morning the winds turned back to the south east and the fish came back on the chew. Around the

Keppels: We are so lucky in CQ to have some close islands just off our coast surrounded by pristine fringing reefs. 15- 20 minutes on a boat and you can be anchored beside white sand beaches in aqua blue waters so clear that you can see the coral reefs below. I think the Keppel group sometimes gets forgotten besides some of the more publicised islands of the Whitsundays, but it well and truly matches them for quality with equally as good beaches, reefs, diving and fishing opportunities.

Over the last week Keppel bay has been well and truly turning it on with lots of bait in the bay and closely behind each school are some quality pelagics. Reports of some good sized spanos, doggies and even some reports of spotted mackerel from all of the usual spots like Barron, Man and Wife, Outer, Conical and Flat. I trolled around Outer for a couple of hours last Sunday and picked up a nice feed of mackerel. Please remember, just take what you need for a feed and let the rest go. A couple of good sized macs can feed a family for weeks. There was also lots of Tuna working the schools of bait fish but spooked easily when approached on the troll. I also saw a large bronze whaler take a Lure out behind Outer last weekend and the big bronzy didn't take to kindly to being hooked and jumped about 4 foot out of the water on its first run. But it was good to see the guys who hooked it cut the line and let it go free as sharks, although the can be frustrating to fishermen, play an important roll on the reef.

Also over the last month there have been reports of juvenile black marlin being caught right in close behind the keppels, with reports from Barron, man and wife and flat. Also reports from up around stanage and broome heads. One report was a group trolling for spanos and just kept getting there lures blown away, so they upped there gear and landed a juv black marlin. I have never heard of marlin being caught this close to shore around the cap coast and keppels, but some of the locals in the area have said that it used to be a common occurrence but the marlin had gone missing over the last 8 or 9 years. So hopefully its a sign of the heath of Keppel bay.

For those bottom bashing around the islands, there have been reports of some nice pan sized reefies taken from most spots. I picked up some nice grassy sweetlip out at Outer and some quality venus tusk fish around Great Keppel. Also, there were reports of some good sized cobia being caught at outer rock and man and wife. I took a school group out tagging fish on Thursday and tagged some good cod and tuskies around forty acre paddock, bald rock and the bommies around square rocks (Ross's Reef). So if you catch any of these tagged fish please call in their details so we can track the movements and collect data about the fish in our area. I also went in close and had a look at the newly opened XXXX island and its looking the goods so if your lucky enough to when i trip there your in for a great trip with the island surrounded by some great fishing spots and quality reef.

Estuaries:
All of our local esturies have been firing for barra with Corio, the Fitzroy river, Port alma and even Cooraman Creek all producing good sized specimens. Driving over the bridge I have seen the river loaded with tinnies and lots of people taking advantage of the great weather. Please remember the upcoming barra season closure.

The week ahead:
The weather for the week ahead doesn't look great with the south easterly trade winds kicking in early this week. For those lucky enough to have any time off through the week, Wednesday and Thursday are looking like good days to get out for a fish, but unfortunately the winds appear to be increasing for the weekend. Coming into the full moon the wrecks out the front of corio might be worth a look as well as the pinnacles to try and chase some big jewies (weather permitting). Next weekend looks to be a bit blowy so it looks like the esturies might be the go or stay at home and do a bit of maintenance on the boat.
Best of luck on the water.

Barber84

Re: Weekly Report 2 Nov 12

Post by Barber84 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:42 pm

sorry folks this report is a little late.. Should have been posted last friday. One for this coming week will be up this weekend