Weekly Reporter 9 Nov 12

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Reporter 9 Nov 12

Post by Brad » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:16 pm

Hello Rockhampton, Yeppoon and surrounding areas.
Well the previous week hasn't been great weather for those looking to head offshore with 15-20 knot south easterlies for most of the week. There was a little window for part of Wednesday and part of Thursday when boats could have made a quick dash out to the islands but probably not a big enough window for most people to get to far offshore (unless you have a decent sized boat). In saying that, a lot of local fishermen were targeting the esturaries chasing 1 last barra for the year, in the days leading up to the closed season. Please remember that barra are now off limits and can not be kept or targeted to catch--- although i can't see how fisheries can prove that a person was specifically targeting Barra.) Please remember if you do hook a Barra in closed season please make sure you return it to the water.

There were reportd this week that some locals caught some barra out around the lagoons south of Rocky. A bit of rain and some run off seems to stir the fish up in the lagoons and can be a good place to chase a fish after a bit of rain. I did see some photo's from XXXX island this week where some boys from Shimano Australia got out around the Bay for a fish and caught a couple of nice Red Emperor. Top effort lads.. and if you are looking for a local to go fishing with and show you the local spots around the keppels i'm only and email away..

For the week ahead:
It looks like 15 knot south easterlies for the earlier parts of next the week, dropping out around around Wednesday and Thursday and hopefully holding out till the weekend. So fingers crossed we might get some decent weather next week. spots to check out this week are Corio Bay, Cooroomen Creek and Port Alma. The rain last week should fire up these systems and there are alot of small prawn in these spots too. Over the next couple of weeks these prawns should start reaching a decent size and might be worth targeting with a cast net to bag yourself a feed or some live bait. Also with the all of this bait in the systems, a bit of run off and some warm sunny days ahead, the fish should be on the chew as well. You should be able to snag your self a fed of grunter or possibly a jack or fingermark. Also as the prawns start to mature the bigger predators like queenies trevally and dart like to work through these spots (especially Corio) so you might be a chance of hooking one of these species that are great fun onlight gear.

If you have been catching any fish around the area, flick me an email and send me a pic so we can show off your catch.
Best of luck on the water....
Matt