Weekly Report 1 May 14

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 1 May 14

Post by Brad » Thu May 01, 2014 12:35 pm

Hello all CQ fishers. Let me start with apologising for the long report pause especially through the Easter break. I had not done any fishing of late due to a back injury. However back on deck and more enthusiastic than ever. We have had some very welcoming of weather of late with excellent reports of good fish coming from both the estuaries and the Islands. I have had some good reports of EVERYTHING, if I tried to list the quality and quantity of fish being caught I would have to list just about every species CQ has to offer. Port Alma is fishing as usual this time of year exceptionally well.

Plenty of prawns and crabs on offer down there with schools of Blueys running through already. Live mullet hooked with a 4/0 through the back of the tail on 2 feet of 40Lb mono with a small running ball sinker works perfect. If you find a good school just be prepared, because if you have more than one line rigged up they tend to grab them all. I was fishing with a friend last May and as nature called he decided to wander off. We both had two lines in and a short time being by myself a large school of big Blueys came through, and well you could imagine were this is going all four rods decided to scream off.

The main objective then became not to catch a fish, but not to lose a rod. The weather this weekend is looking ok. Sunny days with Sunday bottoming to 13 degrees and an average southerly of 10/15 knots which is comfortable in the creeks. Despite the cooler water running through the barrage in the river there are still a few barra being caught. Mostly all of them are being taking on floating live perch under a float. This is due to the water clarity being a bit dirty from the last of flow coming through. Corio bay is hot at the moment with better quality barra being taken. Live prawns floated with no weight are working a treat.

The fish aren’t as large as the Fitzroy specimens but they are superior in quality and more are being caught. Flathead are also thick out the front with people catching there bag limits in an hour or 2. This weekend I would try Coorooman or the Port and get amongst some of the blueys. With the comp being held in Gladstone this weekend there might not be a lot of people around our local area, so it is a good time to take advantage. If it is busy there is still plenty of room to move around as the schools congregate and move around out the front of all our beaches. Fish the tide from bottom up and close to the banks as this is the time they feed. If you decide to head to the Port or even Corio take some pots as the crabs as still abundant and very full.

The tight Lines fishing classic is held in Yeppoon annually and will start the early bird entries tomorrow the 29th of April. Get your entries in online or at a participating venue and help support the local coastguard. The completion is held on the 29th 30th and 31st of August this year and is an excellent weekend for the family. You don’t even have to fish to win, as a huge majority of prizes are given away by lucky draws including the major first prize of a new car and second price a boat package. Good luck to everybody heading down to the Boyne Tannum hook this coming weekend 2nd 3rd and 4th of May. If you would like some photos posted send them through to fishingcq@hotmail.com until next time happy fishing.

(Tide times for this week)
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/tides/p ... ane&days=7
(Moon Phases for this week)
http://moonphases.willyweather.com.au/q ... mpton.html
Wind predictions for the week)
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/qld3.asp