Barra Jacks
99 Denham St, Rockhampton Q 4700
Ph: 07 4922 4833
www.barrajacks.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 08/08/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:45 am

Hello all CQ fishers. The weather blew up a fair bit last weekend which seen most people confined to the creeks when possible. I spent a lot of time on the river last weekend and the small barra and grunter have really turned it on. The barra have been very aggressive on soft plastics and the grunter have been taken on big prawns. I got one grunter last week that nearly pulled my rod out of the boat on the first run. Even though I had my bait caster set, they hit hard so just be ready.

Crabs have considerably slowed in the river and Coorooman. The tides have been small which is not ideal and the water is extremely clean at the moment. I don’t know how true the theory, but when the water is that clean the catch rates seem to drop off as the pot must spook them. I have heard of good reports still coming from port Alma for the crabs, so it could still be worth a shot down there.

Corio bay has given up some good flatties and salmon at the moment, and they have been caught on a live mullet rigged behind a running ball sinker. With the wind forecast for the next couple of weeks I would recommend chasing some of the thick legal sized king in the Fitzroy. You don’t have to travel far for these guys. If you can find a nice comfy spot along the bank, even the jetty on the south side is good catch some live yorkies or prawn, rig them on a paternoster rig and sit down and wait. Very relaxing style of fishing that will pay off with good fish. I have previously posted an image on how to complete this rig.

The weather reports are looking pretty bad this weekend and also the next. It might be a good chance to service your reels and equipment.

One last note is possibly early morning Monday might be a good chance to get amongst some of the mackies still in close. Findlays, Findlays and Findlays is really the only spot to consider. They are just so thick out there in size and numbers however as the wind picks up the water clarity will decrease making it harder to get amongst them. So earlier then better will be the key. ☺ If you would like some photos posted send them through to fishingcq@hotmail.com, and until next time good luck and happy fishing.

The Tight Lines Fishing Classic is held in Yeppoon annually and is taking entries. Get your entries in online or at a participating venues and help support the local coastguard. The completion is held on the 29th 30th and 31st of August this year and is an excellent weekend for the family. You don’t even have to weigh a fish to win, as a huge majority of prizes are given away by lucky draws including the major first prize of a new car and second price a boat package.

(Tide times for this week)
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/tides/p ... ane&days=7

(Moon Phases for this week)
moonphases.willyweather.com.au/qld/fitzroy/rockhampton.html

(Wind predictions for the week)
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/qld3.asp

(Rockhampton weather report)
http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/forecasts/rockhampton.shtml

Josh Witt
josh.w@dynamicenergy.com.au

Nicole Penfold
Admin

Re: Report 08/08/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:45 am

***Please do not reply to this fishing report, as the contributor does not monitor the bulletin boards. if you have a question, please contact the contributor directly on the contact details at the end of the report.***