Report 20/11/14

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
subeditor
Admin

Report 20/11/14

Post by subeditor » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:44 am

Hello all. Firstly I apologise for the lengthy delay in my reports. I have been hard at training starting a new job. I have finished my training and now back to what’s important :O) I will only be reporting on the river as there is a new reporter, reporting Yeppoon. I will now structure my reports by sections of the river so enjoy.
Town Reaches
Well the Threadies are going absolutely mad at the moment. At the start of the run in tide there is so much surface action you will think you are tuna fishing out wide. I went for a short session Thursday and caught and released 18 Threadies and could have kept catching them if I wanted to. The best piece of advice is to use a dropper rig or paternoster as it is correctly called with a double hook setup. I was using yorkies and it was the absolute pick as my prawns were catching nothing but catfish. All of the Salmon were between 600 and 700mm with not one undersized fish. It is great to see the change of size limit from 400 to 600mm is obviously working great. Bull sharks are thick at the moment, so thick one of the threadfin salmon I caught was attacked on the way up.
Nerimbera
I have seen some very large grunter being pulled from the rocks the high banks. I was talking to a couple of lads at the boat ramp when we were pulling out and some of the fish I seen were over 800mm. Absolute monsters! Big prawns have been catching them. Down are Sand Island there have been some of the bigger Threadies and the odd good sized blue. There are lots of small sized prawns through the whole system with the larger ones proving to be elusive.
Thomson point
Really there is much to report from here at the moment other than the larger blueys being caught. They are taking live mullet which would be good if the sharks would leave them alone long enough. The tides are fairly small until the weekend which is good for down here. It limits how much run there is and make fishing a whole lot easier.
Port Alma
The absent of rain has proven to be a killer for the crabs. I know it is November but all the locals know that the crabs don’t stop moving around here for long. However numbers have been greatly lacking and they have been empty when caught. I had a good report of crabs from Cooroman recently however I would say they were lucky and hit a bunch. Big tides coming up on the weekend will hopefully get some moving about. There have been Fingermark and good Grunter being caught around Connors. I have seen some photos of a few blue salmon around the 4kg mark from behind casuarina creek which would make any angler happy.
Tip for the week
The way the Threadies are chewing up town is very impressive. Even if you’re not fishing head down this week as the top of tide nears sunset, the surface movement is awesome to watch. I have never seen so many salmon up town. Just remember the bag limit is only 5 if you decide to keep some. With the bigger tides this weekend it might be worth a shot for some crabs down Port Alma, hopefully we might jag a couple of storms this week with the hot weather which might be enough to get a few moving. Where ever you go good luck and remember sunscreen and plenty of water. Until next time happy fishing.

Tide times for the week
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/tides/p ... ane&days=7
Seas report for the week
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/qld3.asp
Moon phases for the week
http://moonphases.willyweather.com.au/q ... mpton.html
Weather reports for the week
http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/forecasts/rockhampton.shtml

Josh Witt
josh.w@dynamicenergy.com.au
Attachments
RockyThready2_201114.jpg

subeditor
Admin

Re: Report 20/11/14

Post by subeditor » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:44 am

***Please do not reply to this fishing report, as the contributor does not monitor the bulletin boards. if you have a question, please contact the contributor directly on the contact details at the end of the report.***