Barra Jacks
99 Denham St, Rockhampton Q 4700
Ph: 07 4922 4833
www.barrajacks.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 24/3/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:27 am

Easter looks the goods so far so pack the boat and let’s get going.

The Fitzroy River is settling down nicely and a few fish are starting to get caught. Crabs are at the Cut Through, to Thompsons Point, and the barra are at the creek mouths of Moores, Nankin, Secret, Gavial, Central and Alligator Creeks. There have also been some good threadfin up as far as Gavial Creek. So if you’re staying in Rockhampton over the Easter break make sure you give the river a go. Barra Jacks is open every day so drop in and say g’day.

Port Alma. Big tides are crabbing tides so take the pots the crabs are not thick so it’s not much use me going! They need to be thick for me to get a feed but for the guys who know what they’re doing catches of 15 are not uncommon. Some real good bream over at Connors Rocks at the bottom of the tide use 2 to 3 inch lures if you’re a lure fisherman. Hard bodies seem to work well on the bream the small Atomics have been the bomb in the new orange stripe colour. If you’re a bait fisherman then you can’t go past a fresh prawn, live if you can get it but if not we have some wicked little fresh prawn bait perfect for bream. Expect salmon, barra, and fingermark at The Port as the weather looks good. This is the time when you might leave The Port, drop the pots and take a run to Hummocky Island and catch some mackerel, coral trout, sweetlip and return to some big bucks in the crab pots, makes for a good looking esky at days end if all goes to plan. Giddy up

Coorooman Creek (or as some people call it Starvation Creek). There is a bit going on down that way over the next week expect the caravan park to be full at Keppel Sands as the Crabsastic is on. It’s always a good day so drop on down and have a look. Coorooman Creek will have some boats dropped into it over the next week I can assure you of that. Be patient and fish up the creek the tide will be big and it will run, expect some good crabs if you can find a spot to drop a pot.

Corio Bay. It will be dirty still at the top Corbetts ramp but the front will be well worth a go take the cast net because at some stage there will be prawns. It may still be a couple of weeks but I would have it in the boat in case. There were some good flatties caught at the front rocks last week and they will be still hanging around that area. Queenfish at the headlands as well as some good barra. If the weather is as good as I think it will be duck over and give the wrecks a go for a fingermark if you can find room.

Out Wide - over the last two months the weather has been rubbish so out wide has been a no show, but the next two weeks looks like having some very fishable days in it so if you get the shot take it. There will be plenty of fish as we have talked to people who fished 60 to 90 km wide and all caught fish. These were overnight trips last week. All species covered red jew, emperor, mackerel and trout plus sweetlip and parrot so there’s plenty there. Best baits are fresh cuttlefish which Barra Jacks has in stock, as well as squid and big pilchards in 2kg blocks now as well as the 4kg IQF boxes and whole poddy mullet. Give those cuttlefish a go the reddies love ‘em and remember when you troll for mackerel the earlier in the day the higher up you troll and the later in the afternoon the higher you troll the middle of the day down low and go slow. I hope this helps and you catch heaps.

Local Keppel Island - This time of year and with the weekend looking good there will be plenty of boat traffic so get around the back of the island and fish the likes of Hannah’s Rock, The Boulders and Sykes. There will be trout, cod, sweetlip, blue tooth painted sweetlip. Fish lighter than you would out wide, a good guide as is barra gear. If you have barra gear take it to the Keppels it’s the perfect size 6 to 10kg rods 30lb braid 4000 to 5000 size reels or even your baitcaster gear will do the job and you will have a tonne of fun as well. It might be a bit early to catch a squid but I would have the jigs in the tackle box just in case a few show up around the boat you usually see them when you are slow rolling a pilchard back to the boat for a mackerel.
I hope you all have a safe Easter and catch a heap whatever you decide you do the weather looks good and all roads will lead to a boat ramp somewhere.

Don’t forget if you are around on the 30th March we are holding a FREE Humminbird information come training night at the Frenchville. This is not just a night for people who have Humminbirds but also a good opportunity for you to see the new helix units and all the bells and whistles that come with them. We will have the Humminbird guru’s and the boat at the night so come along as the last thing I want is for anyone to go home with a question unanswered. Cheers catch ya next week.

Barra Jacks
99 Denham St, Rockhampton Q 4700
Ph: 07 4922 4833
http://www.barrajacks.com.au