Mossop’s Tackle World
3/30 Shore St West, Cleveland, Q 4163
Ph: (07) 3821 1240
www.mossopsfishing.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 5/1/18

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:47 pm

Welcome to 2018! I get a bit nostalgic when a new year ticks over. The recreational fishing industry is naturally very close to my heart - as a mad keen angler. Each year the range of fishing equipment from reels, rods, tackle, clothing and in particular lures take a leap forward.

That said some things remain gloriously the same - mateship and giving each other a ribbing and on that note I think it's fantastic that more and more women are getting hooked on fishing.

Below is a photo that sums it up for me. The photo is from around 100 years ago. A bunch of people getting together for a fish on a beach in Moreton Bay.

Mossops.jpg

The tackle may change but the beauty of fishing will always remain -- and that's something worth celebrating as each year ticks by!

Now let's get stuck into 2018!

OFFSHORE
Spanish Mackerel have been in good numbers at the group and the Sevens. Dolphinfish have been a go to with the 36 and 42 fathom depths being preferred to troll skirted lures. East of the Pin bar has seen some Black Marlin caught trolling skirted lures.

The pelagic seem to be a little late this year we have just been getting reports from the North Coast of some good numbers being caught so let’s hope. Good reports of Snapper from boat rock and Spangled Emperor in the same area.

Cape Moreton has seen some Spotty Mackerel and Spanish being caught, the M2 beacon has been a good place to start having a look for the Spotty Mackerel we have had some good reports of Wahoo in the same area.

INSHORE
Starting in the northern bay the Curtin Artificial reef and the shipping beacons have had Mackerel and Tuna on them, metal slugs for the Spotty Mackerel and stick baits for the Tuna such as the Nomad Rip Tide 155 slow sink, the new Nomad Rip Tide 125 slow sink will be ideal for the Bay as well.

Plenty of Parrot and Sweet lip at Peel Island, Mud Island has seen Sweetlip and Snapper on the incoming tide.

The sand Hills and Rous channel have been the spot for Diver Whiting Blood Worms and Squid being the best bait.

Try the shipping channel markers leading in to the Brisbane river for School Mackerel, Thread Fin Salmon and Jew in the lower reaches of the river as well, live Poddy Mullet, 7-inch Z Man Jerk Shadzs are popular ways to target these fish.

The shallows at Wellington point try for Flathead and Whiting, the flats at Lota have the same species, I fell it is important when fishing any land based location to move around this is the best way to find your own hot spot to fish on a certain tide.

The Raby Bay canals have fished well for Mangrove Jack, Queenfish and small GT'S the Bass Day Sugar Pen fished land based for Queen Fish and Trevally is the pick of lures in my tackle box for the reason of the ability to cast the lure a long way and the action on the surface is awesome, they go well for Summer Whiting as well.

Peter Stanley
Mossops Tackle World
3/30 Shore Street West, Ormiston QLD 4163
E: peter@mossopsfishing.com.au T 07 3821 1240