3/30 Shore St West, Cleveland, Q 4163
Ph: (07) 3821 1240
www.mossopsfishing.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 17/2/18

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:05 am

OFFSHORE
Good numbers of small Black Marlin on the 36's, and with little current and the moon phase we have had reports of Trag Jew, Squire / Snapper and Pearl Perch.

Spanish Mackerel have been in good numbers at the group but so have the sharks probably a little pointless feeding your fish to sharks.

Dolphinfish at the wave rider the larger fish have been out wider, trolled skirt's and live bait producing the best results.

INSHORE
Spotty Mackerel have been in good numbers around Tangalooma, Shark Spit and the Rous channel - casting metal slugs have been the best method of hooking these fish.

Just a note on rigging I have seen anglers using wire as leader. This will not produce as many fish as using a fluorocarbon leader of 30lb.

We have seen some nice Sweetlip and Parrot being caught at Peel Island on Pilchards and Mullet flesh.

Summer Whiting are well and truly on the chew in the local creeks and rivers with the quality fish coming from the Nerang river.

Well I don't think I have seen so many Mangrove Jack caught as I have seen this Summer with the canals at Raby Bay and Birkdale fishing well with the stand out being the Gold Coast. You don't need a boat to target these fish with one of our staff members landing eight Jack, land based, this Summer.

Google maps is your best friend when targeting these fish to find that good location and you don't need to be a good lure caster to fish for them as well we have been fishing dead baits with a lot of success - best bait has been Pike, Gar, Poddy Mullet and Bonito fillet.

Just a reminder to replace your bait every five or six cast's and check your hooks to ensure they are still sharp as replacing your bait consistently will dull the point of the hook depending on the brand you use. VMC hooks are one of my favourite brands when it comes to hooks, leader I prefer YGK - the reason is diameter for kg rating is great and abrasion resistance is very good.

Peter Stanley
Mossops Tackle World
Ph: 07 3821 1240
3/30 Shore St West, Ormiston
peter@mossopsfishing.com.au