Report 20/8/17

Mossop’s Tackle World
3/30 Shore St West, Cleveland, Q 4163
Ph: (07) 3821 1240
Nicole Penfold

Report 20/8/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:28 am

In this windy weather, I would head over to the eastern beaches of Stradbroke and Moreton Island to do some Tailor fishing with the wind over your shoulder to assist casting to the best surf gutter you find.

It's important to note when casting the traditional rig of hook, trace, swivel, ball sinker, your distance is effected by the bait spinning which reduces your casting distance,

With the rig I am going to explain your casting distance will improve by at least 20% - grapple sinker, hook clip leader, swivel. Have a look at the video below where I explain how the rig works.

When you need a new surf rod remember what style of fishing you are wanting to do. Over the last two months I have had customers wanting to cast 6-7 oz. sinkers with rods that are not built to do so. If you do this two things will happen - the rod will break and the cast distance will be dramatically reduced. The tip of the rod has to be stiff and preferably a graphite rod of at least 12' -14' - this depends on what suits the angler. A couple of brands to look at are Daiwa Laguna, Penn Prevail, Penn Allegiance and the Assassin range.

Try for Tailor on Main Beach North Stradbroke Island from the causeway south to the pin bar. If the wind swings to the SE have a look at Flinders Beach and Deadman’s beach off the rocks which is a good spot to target Bream and Dart.

In the Bay the water is crystal clear which means fishing deep-water is a good option over the next week for Snapper at Harry Atkinson Reef and Jew at West Peel artificial.

Diver Whiting have been in good numbers and quality fish as well, with the usual places being the Small boat passage, Fisherman’s gutter and the chain banks - best bait for Whiting are Cured Beach Worms, Prawns cut into small slices and Squid.

Flathead are showing up in good numbers in the Southern Bay and the Jacobs Good area, trolled hard body lures and casting soft plastics are a great way to target these fish especially if you are new to fishing. This way a result is quite often not far away. Covering territory is essential when targeting Flathead, best lures Zerek Tango Shad for trolling, casting ZMan Minnowz and Zerek Flat Shads.

For the latest fishing reports tune into Nugget on Logan 101 FM Saturday from 6 a.m.

Mossop’s Tackle World
Ph: (07) 3821 1240
3/30 Shore St West, Cleveland, QLD 4163