Admin

Report 19/4/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:02 pm

Current discharge: 2530 ML per day.
Water level 19/04/17: 64.4 %
Current inflow: 630 ML per day.
Water level 12/04/17: 65.4 %
Water visibility: 1 metres
Forecast Weather: chance of showers on Friday & Saturday with rain on Tuesday. Day time temps reaching the mid-twenties and dropping to 10 deg C overnight. Winds will be only light. Barometer remaining high through to Tuesday.
New Moon = 26th April Full Moon = 11th May Water Temperature: 19-21 deg C

Murray Cod: There were some smaller cod landed, all in the keeper range 55 to 75 cm, most were taken on spinner baits. Looking back a year there were some big fish being caught. The water temp was the same however the water levels were around 33%. Time on water = fish in boat, this formula is very true when it comes to Murray Cod fishing. The clear warm days with water like glass are perfect for the fisherman but I have had more (bigger) success on days when you would rather be mowing the lawn then battling the cool winds and rough conditions. Darker cloudy days with a breeze mean the fish are less likely to see you or the boat. Dark day dark lure.

Yellow Belly: Remain tough to catch, the weather was perfect over the Easter break but this didn’t transfer to a lot of fish in the boat. (Refer above) great water skiing weather. Bait fishing on the rock walls for Peter produced a couple of fish a day using frozen shrimp but he did no good on the trees. This was a common theme with most I spoke to. Trolling was also slow. Hopefully this week with a bit of varied weather coming through the fishing will pick up. The live shrimp would be the better bait but they remain scarce so bring some if you can keep them alive.

Redfin: Were the constant catch over the past week which kept the children and adults alike entertained. They can even be caught on bait or lure just walking the park foreshore. Good numbers are being caught and the average size is also getting up there. I posted a “how to fillet” video on our Facebook page this week, worth a look. Fish of 20cm have eggs which solves the mystery of “where are all the big breeders in Burrinjuck” as I have never seen any real big redfin caught here and I catch hundreds every year.
Park News: The park in conjunction with our local bush fire brigades will be conducting some hazard reduction burns to finalize our bush fire preparation works over the coming weeks. (Date not finalized)

Upcoming Events: The 3rd Greg Whitehead Memorial fishing challenge Friday 18th August.

Dean Brind
Manager IWHP Burrinjuck Waters
Ph: 02 62278114
manager@burrinjuckwaters.com.au
http://www.inlandwaters.com.au