Weekly Report 11/12/13

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:20 am

Rain last 7 days: 25 mm
Water level current: 64 %
Water level: 04/12/13 63.9 %
Current discharge: 480 ML per day.
Current inflow: 110 ML per day.
Water visibility: up to 3 metres in main basin
Forecast Weather: The barometer is on the rise again and should be around 1020 for the weekend. Sunny with very light winds for Saturday & Sunday with temps between 12 & 30 deg.
Water Temperature: 22 - 24 deg
Full Moon = Dec 17th, New Moon = Jan 1s

Murray Cod
There were 51 cod recorded on my catch sheet in the office from the 7th of December. The barometer plummeted in the middle of last week to nearly 1000 before rising beck to 1022 by Saturday before beginning to drop on Sunday again down to 1006 by Monday afternoon. The catch rates certainly followed the barometer. Friday and Saturday were brilliant fishing days both with weather and the numbers of cod being caught. Most fish were caught trolling the edges out to 40 feet. Big spinnerbaits and big hardbodies such as Hammerheads, 110mm Oargee’s and StumpJumpers were all doing the trick. There were a lot of smaller cod being caught this week but still quite a few over 70cm. The biggest fish taken was 93cm which unfortunately was not returned to the water. Sunday the fish catch rates began to decline and Monday was real tough. Tuesday saw the return of the strong winds. The weather conditions for this weekend are looking like a mirror of last week so let’s hope the fishing is the same.

Yellow Belly
The catch rates were down this week but I am putting that down to the size of bait and lures that were being used with most fishermen targeting the Murray Cod. There were a few yellows taken on cast spinnerbaits and smaller trolled lures. There were not too many reports from bait fishermen this week and I have not had any feedback from further up the dam.

Redfin
No large numbers reported this week, there were the odd one taken on bait and on the troll. I did have a look for some schools on Monday but the fishing in the whole dam was shut down by then and I had no luck.

Trout
No reports this week.

Silver Perch
No reports this week.

Carp
Heaps being caught on worms and corn.

Park News
Entertainment/activities for the Christmas New Year period are being organized at the park. We will be handing out info sheets on check-in. There will be movie nights, a disco for the teenagers and young ones and DJ Ando on New Year's Eave. Unpowered camping is all we have left for this period.

Dean Brind
Manager, Burrinjuck Waters State Park