Weekly Report 27/12/13

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:55 am

Rain last 7 days: 0 mm
Water level current: 55.7 %
Water level: 18/12/13 60.4 %
Current discharge: 4985 ML per day.
Current inflow: 246 ML per day.
Water visibility: up to 2.5 metres in main basin
Forecast Weather: Showers or storm for Thursday then fine and warm to hot peaking at 36 c for Saturday. Nights will be cooler, down to 12 c on Monday. Light winds for the week.
New Moon = Jan 1st, Full Moon = Jan 16th
Water Temperature: 23 - 25 deg

Murray Cod
The hot weather of last week certainly knocked the fishermen around with most opting for the very early mornings and late evenings to fish. There were some good sized Cod caught after dark with trolling big spinner baits & hard bodies the main method being used. Gordon & family were here for the hot week and caught a lot of smaller cod as well as a 96, 94, & 70 cm fish.

With the cooler conditions and also moving away from the full moon phase, the daytime fishing has improved. Warren & Jess recorded 12 cod all on cast spinnerbaits. Jess landed her personal best with a beautiful 96cm fish. There was also an 80 cm & 74 cm amongst the bigger fish.

My son Henry & I had 2 early morning sessions and an evening session and one in the middle of the day on the 25th. We trolled for the first morning with Henry picking up his PB, a 94 cm Cod on a 5/8oz spinnerbait with black plastic and stinger hook, we had travelled maybe 30 metres before the hook up. The rest of the trips we cast spinner baits and Jackall Mask Vibes to the edges around the main basin, hopping the lures along the bottom for a haul of 77,76,72,65,51,45 cm. We had a memorable experience on Christmas Day when I hooked up to a 76cm fish which I had finally fought to the surface for the second time, the water vis was around 1 metre, when a massive cod appeared below the cod I had hooked. The big fellow decided not to swallow the smaller one and turned at the top of the water and returned to the depths. The big cod was at least 40 cm deep. I will keep this location to myself for obvious reasons. All of these fish I have mentioned were all released and some will no doubt reach the 1 metre length within the next couple of years. If we all do this, imagine the fishery we would have at Burrinjuck!

Yellow Belly
Quieter on the reports again this week with most fishermen chasing Murray cod. I did manage a nice 53 cm on my favourite Mask Vibe just after the big cod experience. Henry had also hooked a couple on the Mask Vibes. Other than that I have not had too many reports at all this week.

Redfin
There are plenty around; we found a couple of schools around the edges with 8 fish off 1 point being our best. No big ones as yet.

Trout
No reports this week.

Silver Perch
No reports this week.

Carp
Heaps being caught on worms and corn.

Park News
Live music starts 7.30 pm on the 29th with Clint Creighton and his partner performing till 10 pm. DJ Ando will be here from 8pm on New Year’s Eve. Zumba classes begin on the 27th at 7.30 am. There is also movies and a kids disco planned this week.

Dean Brind
Manager Burrinjuck Waters State Park.