Admin

Weekly Report 15/01/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:42 pm

Water level current: 49.5 %
Water level: 08/12/14 52.6 %
Current discharge: 4813 ML per day.
Current inflow: 153 ML per day.
Water visibility: up to 2.0 metres in main basin
Forecast Weather: Slim chance of a shower on Saturday after reaching 41 degrees. Cooling off to 36 for Sunday, light winds. Low of 20 degrees C.
Full Moon = Jan 16th, New Moon = Jan 31st
Water Temperature: 23 - 25 deg

Murray Cod
There are still plenty of smaller fish being taken on the troll or while casting. The odd fish has also been taken on shrimp and yabbies. Blacks and reds in lures and spinnerbaits seem to be the favourite. There was a story getting around of a big fish over 40kg being weighed in down at the Burrinjuck Shop but I have not found anyone that actually saw the fish. The early morning or late afternoon into the night is the best time to chase the big green fish, both to work with the moon phase and to dodge the midday heat.

Yellow Belly
These fish are still on the bite. Bait fishermen have been targeting the trees in the Bidgee Arm. Much the same as last week. Live shrimp and small yabbies are both working well. The yellows are holding around the trees in the deeper water. Soft plastics such as Gulp Minnow grubs fished on light gear has also been effective. I have also been picking up fish casting lures around the rocks & points along the edges of the dam. Trolling small hardbody lures across the same areas will also do the trick.

Redfin
The redfin are liking the hotter weather and are becoming more prevalent. I have started to pick up schooled fish in the same spots as last year as the water levels approach those similar to last year at this time. I prefer to chase the redfin on very light tackle using small blades & plastics. Worms and shrimp baits also work well but you will be rebaiting your hook a lot. Those who still have their jigging gear such as the Baltic Minnow should also give these a go. Expect to catch other species that are also chasing the redfin. I managed a yellow and a small cod on Tuesday evening. Last year I landed an 87 cm cod while chasing redfin. If the redfin are biting well and then suddenly shut down, its usually because there is a big fish chasing them. They usually come back on the bite once the danger passes.

Trout
1 brown trout at 30 cm trolling a Stucky near Cathedral Rock.

Silver Perch
I'm still hearing of the occasional fish being caught, usually while chasing yellows or redfin.

Carp
Heaps being caught on worms and corn. I have noticed a lot of floating dead carp. I assume these have been hit by boats or skiers or killed by fishermen.

Park News
Live music starts 7.30 pm on the 26th January with Clint Creighton and his partner Julie performing till 10pm. This will be at the undercover area at Lawler’s, near the main boat ramp.

Dean Brind
Manager Burrinjuck Waters State Park