Weekly Report 29/01/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:41 am

Water level current: 47.5 %
Water level: 22/01/14 4.9 %
Rain last 7 days = 19 mm
Current discharge: 815 ML per day.
Current inflow: 515 ML per day.
Water visibility: up to 2.0 metres in main basin
Forecast Weather: Hot with no rain. 40 & 41 deg for the weekend with very light winds.
New Moon = Jan 31st, Full Moon = Feb 15th
Water Temperature: 24 - 28 deg

Murray Cod
We have had a huge weekend at the park and a lot of boats on the water. This usually lowers catch rates. A lot of fishos reported no fish caught for the weekend, however there were the odd few that did manage to land some. Daryl from the Gundagai Anglers club trolled up a 76, 70, 67, 66 & 66. He dropped another 3. I was also emailed a picture of a 110cm cod caught while casting a red and black spinnerbait in the Bidgee Arm by a very young looking angler. It was the only fish he caught for the weekend. I have managed 2 small cod this week, both picked up while chasing redfin. The catch rates have picked up from my last report. There is not as much water going out of the dam, most of the skiers have gone, we have a high barometer and the new moon is approaching on the 31st Jan. If you can handle the hot conditions it’s looking good for the weekend.

Yellow Belly
Have been quiet. I just had a report of 13 being caught on bait on Tuesday by the usual method, trees in the deeper water. Note this is after the boat traffic has gone from the weekend. Again I would expect there will be a lot more fish caught over the coming week.

Redfin
Have also been on and off. I have still been picking up a few, we managed 15 on Monday evening but only 7 on Tuesday. The fish we have been catching seem to either have small redfin in their stomachs or nothing. We were using small blades & small plastics on light gear in 5 to 7 metres of water. The lure has to be on or near the bottom. To find a school try trolling small lures such as Stucky’s.

Trout
No reports this week.

Silver Perch
Still hearing of 1 a week on average

Carp
Plenty about. Target with worms, corn or on fly.

Park News
The opening round of the 2014 Australian Yellow Belly Championships will be staged from BWSP on the 22nd & 23rd of Feb. Registration and information available at http://www.yellowbellychampionships.com. It is a catch and release event run over 3 x 5 hour sessions. Teams of 2 per boat. Lure only.

Dean Brind
Manager Burrinjuck Waters State Park