Weekly Report 12/02/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:50 am

Water level current: 44 %
Water level: 05/02/14 45.8 %
Rain last 7 days = 0.0 mm
Current discharge: 5410 ML per day.
Current inflow: 0.0 ML per day.
Water visibility: up to 2.0 metres in main basin
Forecast Weather: 5 to 10 mm rain Thursday, 10 to 20mm rain for Friday. Showers for the weekend with a top temp of 30 deg. Winds only light.
Full Moon = Feb 15th, New Moon = Mar 1st
Water Temperature: 26 - 28 deg

Murray Cod
It has been a slow week for the lure fishermen chasing the green fish. There were some smaller fish taken on the troll but overall there were some long days in the sun. The odd fish is being taken on bait, usually while chasing yellows around timber. The water levels have been noticeably dropping this week which tends to upset the fish. The full moon is also approaching on the 15th so chasing a cod after dark would be a good option this weekend. Hopefully we get a bit of inflow from the approaching rain which will also stir up the fish and cool down the water.

Yellow Belly
Bait fishing with shrimp on trees in deeper water, 5 metres plus, is still your best chance of landing a fish. Worms will also do the trick. There were a few guys in over the weekend pre fishing for the upcoming Yellowbelly Championships & they were not giving away too many secrets. Trolling Tassie Devils was one of the stories I was told. I had a bit of success this week with soft plastics landing 3 fish off the trees with minnow grubs. Also landed a couple of fish with Jackalls off the rocks. The trolling guys are still doing it tough. Let’s hope the rain fires things up.

Redfin
The redfin are still biting for those that can find a school. I took a couple of young blokes for a fish on Saturday evening and we managed 25 fish up to 35 cm in about 1.5hrs. The redfin have been fairly consistent in the same spot for several weeks now but only in the afternoons. We caught them on small plastics, Mask Vibes and blades in about 5 metres of water. There is still the odd fish hitting trolled and cast lures also.

Trout, Silver Perch
No reports this week.

Carp
Had a couple of guys over the weekend that couldn’t keep the carp off their trolled lures. I have found that the carp tend to hit the fluoro colours such as pinks & yellows. The guys also commented that you could nearly walk across the fish in the back of some of the bays such as Maceys. There was also a fly fisherman who had a good day flicking his flies.

Park News
The opening round of the 2014 Australian Yellowbelly Championships will be staged from BWSP on the 22nd & 23rd of Feb. Registration and information available yellowbellychampionships.com. It is a catch and release event run over 3 x 5 hour sessions. Teams of 2 per boat. Lure only.

Dean Brind
Manager Burrinjuck Waters State Park