Weekly Report 05/03/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:39 am

Water level current: 44.4 %
Water level: 26/02/14 44.5 %
Rain last 7 days = 21 mm
Current discharge: 398 ML per day.
Current inflow: 108 ML per day.
Water visibility: up to 2.0 metres in main basin
Forecast Weather: Chance of rain Wednesday. Chance of showers over the weekend with temps between 16 & 27 deg C. Winds up to 11 KMH on Saturday.
New Moon = Mar 1st, Full Moon = Mar 17th
Water Temperature: 23- 25 deg

Murray Cod
Have been quiet again this week. Some smaller fish have been caught trolling either spinner baits or hard bodies. Trolling the edges of the main basin remains popular with the bluff area giving up some good sized fish this year. Most fishermen are concentrating on the trees with either bait or lure and a few cod are being picked up around the base of trees.

Yellow Belly
Saturday was wet with 15 mm of rain falling during the day. Fishing trees in the deeper water remains the best option. The yellows on a few trees in the main basin fired up during the recent yellow belly champs but these seemed to have quietened off. Of course a lot of these fish were caught and released and are probably still a bit skittish. There were still some bait fisherman moving around these trees through the week picking up some good yellows. Shane came in on Sunday and picked up 25 yellows using gulp atomic guzzler. Shane found the fish on submerged trees in the Bidgee River Arm downstream from Macey’s Bay, 57cm was his biggest. A good sounder is essential when chasing fish this way & an electric motor preferably with spot lock. Brownie, the winner from last weekend’s comp, also returned for another fish over the weekend. He did not land the 100 plus fish of the previous weekend but managed about 30 fish on Gulp minnow grubs. Live shrimp remains the best option for the bait fishermen. The edge bite remains quite for those that usually troll the perimeter or cast to rocky points.

Are still about. I returned to my redfin spot on Monday afternoon and picked up 22 fish with my son in quick time using small soft plastics. There were plenty of fish on the sounder as well as following up to the surface. I returned to the same spot on Tuesday morning and we managed only one fish. I have done this several times trying to find the fish in the mornings but they are just not there. There were also several trees in the main basin that we spotted large schools of redfin on the sounder.

Park News
The fire ban is still in place at the park until the 1st of April. We will have 3 new fire rings BBQ plates & seating installed before then 2 at Carroll’s creek & 1 at the new Wombat camp kitchen. The external painting to all the amenities blocks has also been completed.

Dean Brind
Manager Burrinjuck Waters State Park