Weekly Report 12/03/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:09 pm

Water level current: 44. 5 %
Water level: 05/03/14 44.4 %
Rain last 7 days = 37 mm
Current discharge: 387 ML per day.
Current inflow: 677 ML per day.
Water visibility: up to 2.0 metres in main basin
Forecast Weather: Showers predicted each day. Showers over the weekend with temps between 16 & 28 deg C. Winds up to 20 KMH on Sunday.
Full Moon = Mar 17th, New Moon = Mar 31st
Water Temperature: 23- 24 deg

Murray Cod
We had another 1 metre cod landed & released on Sunday while flicking a spinner bait. Not too much other information. The picture was posted on our Facebook page. The majority of the captures this week were smaller fish that were also landed on spinner baits, Black, red & purple being the most popular colours. Gold or brass Colorado blades also seem to work better. The Colorado blade puts out more vibration and can be worked slower. We have had a slight rise this week in the dam level. With a few storms over the catchment of late the water is starting to dirty as you go upriver from the basin. The Yass River lookS like mud as you pass over the bridge at Yass. The water temps have started to drop and will continue to do so heading into the cooler months. March April is typically an ideal time to catch a big fish as they move out of the deeper colder water.

Yellow Belly
Not much has changed over the last month although we have had a few more fish caught while trolling hard body lures this week. The trees in the deeper water remain the best option with plenty of fish over 50 cm being caught. The fish may not be on the same tree as last week. I have also found that the fish may not be on a certain tree in the morning but you may bag out there in the afternoon. Shrimp remain the best bait option but there have been some good captures on the humble worm also. Then there is the soft plastic grub method which is certainly accounting for plenty of fish. Black, watermelon & camo are all popular colours. I have just painted up some 1/4 ounce jig heads with black, green & red nail polish, others use texta.

Redfin
I haven’t had a chance to get out in the last week to try my couple of spots and there have not been too many reports. I am sure they will still be around.

Trout
We had another release on Tuesday of 10 000 rainbow trout fingerlings. That makes 20 000 so far this year. No reports of any captures.

Park News
The Pirtek fishing challenge is on again on Sunday the 23rd of March. The entry fee is $20 with all entrants going in the draw to win a Stacer 489 Outlaw with side console. All proceeds from the day go to the Prostrate Cancer Foundation of Australia. For information and entry visit http://www.pirtekfishingchallenge.com.au

Dean Brind
Manager Burrinjuck Waters State Park