Report 21/05/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed May 21, 2014 10:46 am

Current discharge: 446 ML per day.
Water level current: 55.2 %
Current inflow: 776 ML per day.
Water level: 14/05/14 55.1 %
Water visibility: up to 1 metres in main basin
Rain last 7 days = 0 mm
Forecast Weather: Slight chance of showers on Friday & Saturday with less than 1 mm of rain predicted each day. Temps between 8 & 18 for the weekend. Winds to reach 11 kmh from the west on Saturday afternoon. Still mild for this time of year. We should still have a fairly high barometer for the weekend. The current reading is over 1020
Full Moon = May 15th, New Moon = May 29th
Water Temperature: 17-20 deg

Murray Cod
There are a few being caught for those willing to put in the time on the water. Two fish per day per boat is the average. There were some bigger fish over 70 cm caught over the last week. Trolling large spinnerbaits is still the most popular method being used however the big hardbody lures are well worth a go.
Try trolling out deeper around 30 to 40 feet during the day and then shallower if chasing the cod on or after dark. Bait fishing with big yabbies or grubs after dark is also well worth a go.

The Yellows continue to hold deep or on the bottom around trees in the Lower Bidgee Arm as they have now for the last few weeks. Shrimp and worms have both been working well. The bait needs to be jigged on the bottom with most fishermen commenting that they are not getting any touches on the wind up or when dropping down. Catching yellows trolling and casting remains tough going during the day. Bait fishing after dark off shallow points is also producing some good numbers of fish.

I spent 2 hours over some very large schools of fish around Cathedral Rock. I threw my usual arsenal of plastics and blades at them for a total of one small redfin. I had no worms on board but they may have been worth a go.

We had a fisherman this week decide to troll a Tassie Devil around in the main basin and he caught a rainbow trout around 35cm. There should certainly be some trout getting caught with the amount of stocking done over previous years. Bait fishing with scrub worms along the park shoreline early mornings or late afternoon would well be worth a try as there have been some big trout caught this way over the previous 3 years I have been writing these reports.

Park News
The air-conditioning and TVs have been completed in cottages 8 & 16. I have now started on a makeover of both cottages. Some carpet, painting, a few repairs and some new doorways are being added so the air-conditioning will work better.

Dean Brind
Manager Burrinjuck Waters Holiday Park