Report 8/2/15

Post by subeditor » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:22 am

Current discharge: 9140 ML per day.
Water level current: 58.3 %
Current inflow: 1420 ML per day.
Water level: 17/12/14: 73.6 %
Water visibility: up to 2 metres
Rain this week: 10.6 mm

Forecast Weather: Wet on Friday & Saturday, predicted up to 35 mm with possible thunderstorms on Thursday & Sunday. Top temp of 31 deg for Saturday.
Full Moon = January 5th New Moon = January 21st Water Temperature: 25 deg

Murray Cod: Tough going has been the general consensus over the busy Christmas period. There is still the odd big fish being taken with another 2 big ones at 100 cm & 101 cm this week, There are certainly a lot more fisherman this season that are trolling at night (all Night) for the big green fish. This has been going on for many years at Blowering Dam but was not popular at Burrinjuck. These guys are certainly reaping the benefits with about ½ of the 21 big fish, at 1 metre plus, caught and released since December 1st being caught at night. The drooping water levels as well as the increased boat traffic have certainly contributed to the drop of in fish being caught.

Yellow Belly: Catch rates have also been down over the last 2 weeks. Again dropping water levels and boat traffic. Trolling and casting lures has been slow. Bait fishing with small yabbies on the trees out deeper is the best. I noticed on my structure scan, while trolling at Scrubby, either a thermocline or dirty water layer at around 25 feet. The fish should be sitting above or around that depth. Hopefully we pick up some of this forecast rain in the catchment and with Victoria and South Aus due to get a drenching maybe the plug will get put back in for a couple of weeks and the fishing will fire back up.
Redfin: One of my redfin spots has started to fire. I have managed 45 fish this week with the biggest being 32cm. This was from around the Scrubby area. I also had another report of 31 fish around Wade Island. My preferred method is to find the school by casting small pre weighted plastic minnows or blades, 40 or 50 mm, let them sink to the bottom and just slow retrieve until I start to get bumps and hook-ups. If you can hold the boat over the school then it’s just a drop straight down and jig or wind. Good fun.
Carp: Plenty being caught on worms, corn & bread. Not hearing as many reports of them taking lures.
Park News: The 2015 Australian Yellow Belly Championships will kick off soon with Bruce adding a Southern Series to this years events. First round Hume Weir 14 & 15 Feb. Burrinjuck 14 & 15 March. Eildon 28th & 29th November. Grand final venue TBA. The other usual dams will be fished as part of the Northern series. Info

Dean Brind, Manager Burrinjuck Waters Holiday Park.

Dean Brind
Manager Burrinjuck Waters Holiday Park
Ph: 02 62278114
With big cod like this 116cm behemoth available, it would seem that trolling all night was worth it for Adam Chapman.
Trolling at night has been the key to landing monsters like this.

Re: Report 8/2/15

Post by subeditor » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:23 am

***Please do not reply to this fishing report, as the contributor does not monitor the bulletin boards. If you have a question, please contact the contributor directly on the contact details at the end of the report.***