51 Mulgrave Road, Cairns QLD 4870
Ph: 07 4051 6099
sales@erskinestackleworld.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 21/8/15

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:43 am

BLUEWATER
Finally a run of light winds has allowed plenty of you to get out wide. The results have been a bit scratchy with some boats filling up and others coming home with a feed. This will I hope settle down as we get some more good weather and the fish settle back into their usual spots. The bottom fishing has been better in some deeper water 40-50m producing the goods for those heading a bit wider. Red Emperor, Large & Small Mouth Nanny’s and Coral Trout making up the best of catches. Assorted other species, and that has been a wide variety of species of late have made up some fairly good bags as well. As the weather warms up and the weather settles there will be more opportunity for overnighters and some freezer filling trips. But of coarse this time is the start of gamefishing season. Mackerel, Cobia,Tuna ,Marlin and sailfish have been showing up. The Mackerel have been the target and most of the usual spots have seen plenty of boat traffic. As I have been saying for a couple of months they have been fairly shy of heavy terminal tackle. So keep your traces as light and short as you can and small swivels that don’t stand out to these sharp sighted speedsters. You will occasionally lose a fish but you will catch many more making the risk well worth it. Tournament season starts now with Cairns Bluewater Billfish Tournament and let me wish all those competing the best of luck. This is followed by Yorkeys Knob Light Tackle Slam on September 3-5th and Innisfail Billfish Tournament 10-12th September. With reports of some Billfish about these will all hopefully turn up good numbers. If you are interested be sure to give them a go.

INSHORE
I have been talking about our Winter species over recent months but I have to say they haven’t turned up in the numbers I had hoped for however the Whiting that did turn up were generally of good size so you haven’t needed too many for a feed. Yabbies pumped in the area have been the go to bait. That should be no surprise to anyone as that is generally the case. Flathead have also been about the river mouths in the gutters between the sandbars. Bait tossed in and slowly retrieved will generally entice them but it is much more fun tossing small lures at them. Whether you use soft or hardbody lures it doesn’t really matter as long as you are competent with them and put them in the right place. Mangrove Jacks and the various Trevallies have been the most popular catches around the local estuaries of late. Again bait or lures will do the trick on these species. Just look for some movement in the water as in tide or current around snags or a point in the river that will be a spot the bait will gather and that is why the predators are there, for a feed. The up current side of any obstruction is much more productive than the down side for the bigger fish so fish inti that front side. There are still a number of Barramundi being caught as well and hopefully they will only get better as Winter fades. The clear Spring mornings are probably the most enjoyable to fish so get out there.

FRESHWATER
Spring fishing up in the Fresh is also very pleasant. Sooty Grunter and Jungle Perch become hungrier and more likely to be about in numbers. Lure fishing early morning with small Poppers and as the sun gets higher the lures need to go deeper. The higher the sun the deeper the lures is the rule of thumb. Obviously the bait will also be effective for those looking for a more relaxed approach. The rain we received in June may have been a bonus for a number of our rivers that were very low. That small flush has hopefully stirred up some Barramundi that have been hiding from the low water levels. As water temperatures rise they will become more active and a definite target for those heading out camping and fishing on some of our remote river systems. This will have a flow on to the western rivers of the gulf and I hope it stirs them up as well because the lack of a decent wet season has seen them fishing very patchy and catches have been way down on recent years. Unfortunately it has ment that quite a few of those big breeders have been caught. Hopefully most were released to help the breeding season when it rains to bring populations back to some normality. We must also all be aware that they are getting much more pressure as roads get better and more and more people are travelling into area previously only accessed by the died in the wool adventurers. Please look after our iconic fish for the future.

TINAROO DAM
The spell of colder weather has scared off the less than devoted Tinaroo fishermen. That is not to say the fish aren’t still about. Far from it. When the weather is cool and for some reason or another there is a couple of days which are warmer, that is the time to be out there on the water. You may or may not be alone but do not let that stop you. As I mentioned last month the Skiers and PWC riders are less likely to be there stirring up the place and therefore the fish are much more relaxed and likely to feed. The sun warming up flats areas during the day will attract the Barramundi and with low boat traffic they will hang about much longer making the fishing more productive. Afternoon into evening is the best time to fish due to this warming of given areas. Jason B from Cairns TW has made the dash a couple of times over the last couple of weeks catching a couple in the 120cm size. The only way to catch these fish is time on the water and the more time you spend on the water the more you learn and the more fish you catch. If you have been avoiding going up due to the cold you need to get back to it but don’t forget the warm gear because it can be freezing up there even in the middle of Summer. Red Claw have still been quiet but I am hoping the warmer weather may bring them up into the shallows and back into people’s pots.

Erskine's Tackle Wolrd
51 Mulgrave Road, Cairns QLD 4870
Ph: 07 4051 6099
sales@erskinestackleworld.com.au