51 Mulgrave Road, Cairns QLD 4870
Ph: 07 4051 6099
sales@erskinestackleworld.com.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 11/9/15

Post by subeditor » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:34 am

BLUEWATER
The breaks in the winds have seen plenty of boats out both Trolling for Game fish and fishing the bottom for the various demersal species. Red Emperor, Large and Small Mouth Nannygai and the other Snappers and Emperors have been around the deeper water. Coral Trout are also being caught in the deeper water but will start to move up into the shallows as it continues to warm up.

The traditional start of the Black Marlin season is September and runs through to Xmas. Yorkeys Knob Light Tackle Slam last weekend turned up a few surprises. Fishing inside the reef a fish over 200kg isn’t on the radar and hooking one going through all the fight only to lose it at the back of the boat can be a big let down. The positive of that is to see those larger fish turning up making it look like a good season coming up. Spanish Mackerel are still about as well as the lesser species which have thinned out considerably. Local hot spots like the Fairway Leads, Cape Grafton, and the Double Island wrecks will still put up enough numbers to make a trip out well worth it. The schools of bait on the Wide Ground are a bit scarce up till now but hopefully will build up and give us a target to chase the Billfish around. Look for the bait and jig up a couple to fish straight back on the school. A quality sounder is a huge help finding this bait and finding large fish in the area. Calmer weather is the best time to chase Giant Trevally with Poppers. Bait schools up over the reel are easily seem in the calmer conditions and especially if they are showering out of the water occasionally indicating predatory fish crashing them from below. Much of the time you don’t have to travel that far young Bodie Bell caught a beauty in the anchorage at Fitzroy Island during the tournament. Just get out and have a go.

INSHORE
The warmer weather over the past couple of weeks that looks like continuing has brought out the Barramundi fishermen who have a recess over Winter. Reports have been patchy all year and I put this down to the lack of serious wet season. Even some of the usual hot spots have produced way down on their seasonal averages. Frustrated fishermen have returned from annual fishing trips with reports of numbers of fish way down on previous years but with the average size up and it has been across the board so if you have found it tough you are not alone. I have been talking about it all year but I must say again that we badly need a couple of wet seasons and by that I mean plenty of prolonged flooding rains which is very inconvenient for all of us but absolutely necessary to start the recovery of the fishery. Many and varied reasons are being toted around as to why and who is responsible for the poor season but I personally believe that it is part of a cycle which will at sometime come around. Mangrove Jacks have still been the mainstay around the creeks for the lure tossers and live bait brigade. Good numbers and sizes have been reported. School Trevally and Queenfish have turned up around local estuaries. Great sport and good eating fresh but don’t keep a heap as they don’t freeze very well. Fingermark and Grunter have also turned up.

FRESHWATER
The Freshwater reaches of most of our rivers have been the hardest hit by the lack of rainy season. River systems need that annual flood to clear them up. Weed and accumulated natural rubbish build as the year goes on and without that clean out that build up continues for the next year and chokes the fish life and other life in the river. Not only does this limit the breeding and general activity in the river but it makes it much harder to fish due to low water levels increased weed levels. This being said there is still some good fishing to be had if we adapt to the changed conditions. For the sport minded the upper reaches walking with light gear and small lures chasing Sooty Grunter and Jungle Perch is a very enjoyable way to spend some time. The catch is fairly small in fish size but they fight above their weight and put up a spirited fight to the end. The other bonus for me to this type of fishing is the natural surrounds that you are fishing in. Some of the prettiest surroundings you will ever see. The low water has one bonus in that the Mangrove Jacks will make their way further up the rivers and are a surprise while chasing the other species. Mix in the occasional Barramundi and Tarpon and a great day is on the cards. Koombooloomba Dam is another area well worth a visit for the Sooty Grunter and the occasional Barramundi keep a day on the Dam interesting. One word of warning is to take warm and wet weather gear whenever you go there as the weather can change in the blink of an eye and being directly inland from Tully rain is not far away.

TINAROO DAM
Now is the time with the weather and water starting to warm up the Barramundi are also starting to warm up. This past month has seen a number of 1meter plus fish being caught. It becomes much more comfortable to be on the water late into the evening or for that matter any time during the night time. This is when most of the big fish are caught so if you have the dream or desire to catch one of these beauties you need to be prepared to put in the time and effort and be on the water after dark. There are many Kayaks fishing there so please be aware and observant as they are close to the water and hard to see at times and I do not want any accidents between fishermen on the water or any other users for that matter. Pick a spot if you are tossing lures and work it over. Pressure points such as headlands that jut out a bit are areas that fish will swim around at some time each night and perseverance in those areas will generally get you a bite or two. The other successful method is trolling slowly in productive areas. A good quality sounder and especially a side scan is invaluable for finding fish holding areas and fish in open water areas. Daytime activity on the dam will also increase as it warms up making the night even more likely to produce. As with Koombooloomba make sure you have your warm gear no matter what time of year

TIP OF THE MONTH
Tip of the month from me is to lighten down your tackle and watch the increase in bites. Most of us are fishing much heavier than we need to and this is limiting our success. Give it a try. Weather you are chasing Jungle Perch or Black Marlin for this month lust go down one line size for both line and leader and see if it makes a different. Since Braid has hit the market we all seem to be fishing a couple of sizes up on what you would have done with Mono. 10kg mono was considered very heave to be tossing lures for Barramundi but now many are using more than twice that. I am not saying that you won’t catch fish on the heavier line and equally that you won’t lose a couple on the lighter line but I believe you will catch as many or more due to more bites as fish get much more educates and shy to the heavier gear. Give it a go and find it may just catch you more fish and you will enjoy the ease of use. The simple exercise of a change down of your leader will show a change in results.
Tip of the month is not so much a tip but a recommendation. September is the best month of the year to be out fishing. With everything coming together to make it great for the fishermen. The weather warms up and the winds generally give us plenty of breaks to get out. Summer species in particular the Mighty Barramundi in our rivers and Billfish, Mackerel, Coral Trout and Reds on the reef are all available. As mentioned the Light Tackle Tournaments shoot off the Game Fishing season and tossed in the middle of it all is a couple of weeks School Holidays. So with this in mind and the hangover of the first half year being poor weather wise and the fishing below average, September looks like the time to get yourself into gear and get out fishing. I am hoping the rest of the year really fires up and all those that head out catch good fish, I know this is a bit of a pipe dream but the one sure fact is that you won’t catch them at home on the lounge so sort your gear, check the boat and safety gear and get out there.

Erskine's Tackle Wolrd
51 Mulgrave Road, Cairns QLD 4870
Ph: 07 4051 6099
sales@erskinestackleworld.com.au