Erskine's Tackle Wolrd
51 Mulgrave Road, Cairns QLD 4870
Ph: 07 4051 6099
sales@erskinestackleworld.com.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 27/11/15

Post by subeditor » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:08 pm

Firstly let me apologise for this newsletter being late and assure it isn’t because I have taken advantage of the good weather. It has just be a number of things that added up to me not getting it done. Again my apology and I hope you all took advantage of the weather and were out yourselves.

BLUEWATER
Well finally we have had some good days to head out wide fishing for Bottom fish and Pelagic species. With the annual Reef Fin Fish Spawning Closures over for the year the Coral Trout have started to show up in catches. They have moved into some of the usual locations but have still been a little patchy with some crews missing out while others close by catch their bag limit. This has been the story all year in the local area meaning a lot more effort is needed sometimes to find a decent catch. The other mixed species have been similar in that they are plentiful at times and almost non-existent at others. The Mackerel have continued to be about in fairly good numbers and sizes. A couple of larger Spanish sure add plenty of fillets to the catch and are a fish that when handled correctly hold their Quality after quite a time frozen. I do emphasize the correctly handled as miss treated fish of any species lose quality very quickly. The Black Marlin season has been up and down as well. Periods of good numbers have been interspersed with some periods of very few Marlin being seen let alone caught. I guess that is fishing. Hopefully we will get that big flush of rain to freshen up all our waterways and get the fish excited and on the bite. Some of the weather predictors will get it right this year because they have it covered from another very dry monsoon season right up to record numbers of storms and floods so at least 1 will be correct at the end of it all. We look like having some more good weather over the next couple of weeks so will be a good chance to get out and catch some Xmas fish.

INSHORE
Summer tides and big Grunter just seem to go together and that is from now on. The high tides around 3meters early in the morning will see the dedicated Grunter fisho’s out on the Hospital flats chasing this very fine eating fish. Strip baits of Mullet or Garfish seem to be the favourite baits along with Live Sardines. The full and new moons for the next 3 or 4 months are the prime time to be chasing them with the big tides flooding up over the flats areas and the Grunter following. My favourite depth to fish is between 3 and 6 meters. With Barramundi closed season on for 3 months we all have to look for other species to chase and another of my favourites is the Fingermark(Golden Snapper) At this time of year you will find them in deep water up the estuaries but more so on any rubble patch or headland along the coast. Areas such as Kings Point, Green Island wreck, and the Fairway Leads are close areas which consistently turn up some good catches of this beautiful fish. Squid or live bait caught at the spot and promptly returned to the depths are the best baits by a long shot. There is always bycatch when doing this so expect anything from Puffer fish to Cobia. Soft plastic vibes like the very popular Pulse range have made huge inroads into this fishery. Sounding the area to find the bait schools and then jigging through the area will find the predators in presence and catch rates can be quite high. A graphite rod approximately 7’ with a quality reel with 10-15kg line and 20kg leader is a good starting point. Keep a mid sized fish to eat and return the big females back to breed for future seasons.
FRESHWATER
I am seeing a rise in interest in walking the creeks tossing small lures for Sooty Grunter and Jungle Perch which I am very pleased about. This is a fun way to fish and by releasing the fish back to the water will be around for our kids to enjoy for years to come. A couple of tips if you are new to this style of fishing. The higher the sun the deeper the lure which means that early morning or evening you fish top water. Poppers or shallow runners early will give away to deeper divers as the day goes on so in the middle of the day you should be fishing the deepest lures in the deepest sections of the waterway you are fishing, and work your way back up shallow as the day goes towards sunset. Small lures that match the prey they will be targeting such as cicaders, grasshoppers, and other small animals that fall into the water are the weapon of choice. However with the number of poor wet seasons in a row contributing to lower water levels the usual I have been getting reports of Saltwater Crocs further up into freshwater where I have never seen them before so be aware of this and be careful. Hopefully we will get a huge wet season to flush all our rivers and bring back some normality to them.
TINAROO DAM
Well here we go again with the summer Full Moons and to a lesser degree the New Moons being the prime time to catch a big Barramundi at Tinaroo. There will be plenty of activity and boats on the water(not all fishing) as well as the ever increasing number of Kayaks. I mention this as it increases the need to be vigilant and much more careful on the water. Kayaks in particular are low to the water and hard to see at the best of times let alone Dawn and Dusk when many are out fishing so keep your eyes and mind on the job. While I am on it all you Kayakers for your own safety ensure that you have and are using correct navigation lights when you are supposed to be. This is very important so boaters see you when they are moving about. The last thing you need when out fishing is a boat running over you as you fish. Again I am hoping for heaps of rain to top up the dam. I know this will spread the fish out making them harder to catch but is vitally important for the future. Speaking of the future I was pleased to see they are allowing restocking of Red Claw over the next couple years. We all need to give a big thank you to those persistent workers who made this happen. You may think well I don’t chase them so it makes no difference to me but that isn’t true. As many people do chase them and visit the area just to do it bringing with them money to the communities that is put back into facilities for all. Those same Red Claw chasers also buy a fishing Permit even though they don’t need it to chase RedClaw so they can wet a line. That equates to more restocking funds an allround win.

TIP OF THE MONTH
With the weather warming up with vengeance now is a good time to remind you all to be sunsafe. There are so many new design sun shirts out for Xmas that they may be the best gift you could give a loved one. The new designs from Tackle World have arrived instore and are brilliant. Match these up with one of the sun protection neck wraps and sun gloves and you will be fairly well protected. The huge variety of colours and patterns should see a combination to suit everyone. I believe that we do not pay enough attention to our hands which are in the firing line weather we are driving fishing or just about anything we do outdoors and this leads to some problems with skin related problems later in life for many of us. If you aren’t wearing some kind of protection on your hands be super aware and apply sunscreen regularly during the day. The other area that often gets missed is our feet. They are usually lilly white from shoes day in day out and therefore prone to burn quite quickly. Again look after them. Sunny days are lovely sunburn is not.

Erskine's Tackle Wolrd
51 Mulgrave Road, Cairns QLD 4870
Ph: 07 4051 6099
sales@erskinestackleworld.com.au
Attachments
CairnsJack271115.jpg
CairnsJack271115_3.jpg
CairnsJack271115_2.jpg