51 Mulgrave Road, Cairns QLD 4870
Ph: 07 4051 6099
sales@erskinestackleworld.com.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 20/5/16

Post by subeditor » Fri May 20, 2016 10:03 am

BLUEWATER
Deep into April & the beginning of May the Spanish mackerel as predicted schooled up thicker and have started to be caught in good numbers by the light tackle charter boats & recreational anglers. Trolling the local reefs like Arlington, Tedford & Pixie Reefs with heavy wog rigged garfish & deep lures like the Strada Tracka’s has produced several fish along with floated pilchards and live baits. The occasional small black marlin is being raised and I’d expect their numbers to multiply as we approach June. Cobia have been prolific at present on most of our local reefs and wrecks and have been testing gear to its limits with their powerful runs. Cobias are being caught by those targeting mackerel and by bottom fishermen targeting reds and trout. Largemouth nannygai are again featuring in reef bottom fishing catches after a slow period during April with good numbers being caught on the rubble patches and gutters in the paddocks between the reefs. Unfortunately, rough weather for a large part of May has restricted reef access for smaller boats recently. Once the weather drops out we should see some hot blue water fishing again both on pelagic and bottom species.
CairnsNanny20516.jpg
CairnsCobia20516.jpg

INSHORE
Estuary fishing in the Cairns Inlet was exceptionally good through to late April. Great catches of barramundi, mangrove jacks, fingermark, queenfish, trevally and salmon were all caught on the abundant live prawns, sardines and mullet present. However, in conjunction with the strong SE winds fishing has been tough through May, but should bounce back well once we get a run of decent weather. Mud crabs are definitely running in numbers now with reports of good catches in the most of our estuary systems including the Inlet & Hinchinbrook Channel. The Daintree River before the big recent blow fished great on both grunter and fingermark with some real quality fish caught. Hinchinbrook Channel saw a small flurry on both barras and mangrove jacks on lures during April and I’d expect to see improved fishing into May as the water temperatures drop slightly. A few big barras continue to be caught on the pressure points and drop-offs on soft plastic vibes.

FRESHWATER/TINAROO DAM

With only isolated rain most of the rivers and creeks are clean and fishing well in the upper freshwater sections on sooty grunter and jungle perch. Several of the feeder creeks into the Russell & Tully Rivers have seen some quality jungle perch caught on small surface walkers and poppers. Tinaroo Dam is still see regular meter plus barramundi caught but during the strong wind warning condition recently fishing has been a little tough.
CairnsBarra20516.jpg
CairnsBarra20516_2.jpg
GULF OF CARPENTARIA

Fishing in the Gulf has certainly improved on last year but is still suffering from the lack of an early full wet season. Despite this some big fish continue to be caught with Carpentaria Barra & Sport Fishing Guide “Groover” putting a new lure launch on the map landing a 1.38 barra recently. While fish numbers are still well below previous. I fished the Gulf early this month and while numbers were down we still managed to lands some quality fish including a 1.18m barra caught by Bodie Bell on a jungle perch outfit spooled with 6lb braid and 30lb leader and a 3” Zman soft plastic. Water temperatures are still over the 30c mark and fishing may improve once we see a decline.

TIP OF THE MONTH
Mackerel Season:
I’m tipping there will be a hot Spanish mackerel bite as soon as the weather drops out from the current strong SE set. The first calm day on a suitable moon phase should see plenty of mackerel caught as they have continued to school up as water temperatures slowly drop. It’s time to have your trolling gear ready to roll and your lures and bait rigs perfected. Floating pilchards and live baits, while bottom fishing, is another highly successful method on mackerel. I prefer a two hook rig in my pilchards (as pictured) consisting of 2 x VMC 9522PS 6/0 hooks ganged together, copper wire, and a 40cm length of 69lb stainless steel single strand trace. Come in and ask our expert staff how to rig up for the imitate mackerel season start.

Erskine's Tackle Wolrd
51 Mulgrave Road, Cairns QLD 4870
Ph: 07 4051 6099