51 Mulgrave Road, Cairns QLD 4870
Ph: 07 4051 6099
sales@erskinestackleworld.com.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 2/9/16

Post by subeditor » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:59 am

BLUEWATER
Again my prediction that the Mackerel would show up in good numbers has proved to be presumptuous to say the least. While there are Mackerel around the numbers at all the regular spots have been well down on previous years. The weather has seen less effort being put in by the smaller boats but that isn’t the reason the numbers are down. The weather pattern has also been different. The small window of colder weather that has pretended to be Winter has slowed the cooling of the water which attracts these fish to the area. The winds have kept the catches of Emperor and Nannygai down simply due to many boats not being able to get out chasing them. Hopefully the Marlin will come in in good numbers and sizes for the upcoming season. Tournament season hit off this last weekend with the Cairns Bluewater Tournament being run out of Fitzroy Island. With 54 teams nominated it is a shame the weather couldn’t hold off for another day or two. The numbers were down on last year but the event went very well with many good reports getting back to me. Day one saw 21 tagged followed by day two at 24 and day three just 12 due to the strong winds forcing the early finish. Levanti with Captain Chris Miles came out winners with 7 tagged over the 3 days. The next will be Mission Beach Fishing and Spearfishing Competition which is to be run 3rd &4th September. If you are interested you can email mbgfc@live.com.au for more information. Pray for the weather to hold and best of luck to all those fishing.
CairnsMack2916.jpg

INSHORE
There has been plenty of activity around the rivers simply because the winds have kept most small boats inshore. Barramundi have continued to show up as the water temp hasn’t given them lockjaw yet. Live baits as well as lures have been doing the trick. With good weather and tides to match predicted for this weekend if you aren’t heading to the reef be sure to get out on the water anyway. High tides midmorning should see a few Grunter out on the flats. Fresh fillets of Garfish or Mullet fished on a light sinker has been the go to method lately. With the winds down there will be a few by catch out on the flats. The proliferation of Sharks this year has affected most local fishers. These smaller Sharks you catch on the flats are worth taking home fresh for a BBQ. Easy to fillet and clean white flesh are ideal for a feed. The lack of serious wet season has had a flow on effect. The lack of wet season Prawns has led to a poor show of Salmon and even the schools of Trevally and Queenfish have not been about in any numbers. Hopefully September will bring on the spawning of our bait species like Mullet, Sardines and Herring. This should bring the predatory species into our local systems for a run into summer. The shining light around the rivers and estuaries this year have been the Mangrove Jacks. This red terror of our waterways have continued to be about in fairly good numbers all year. Good looking, good fighting and good eating, what else could you hope for from a fish. You all know how much I like them and with Fingermark (Golden Snapper) also showing up there is plenty of incentive to get out there.
CairnsJack2916.jpg
CairnsGrunter2916.jpg
CairnsFlat2916.jpg
CairnsFinger2916.jpg

FRESHWATER

September has got to be the best month to plan that fishing camping trip to your favourite freshwater fishing spot. It is starting to warm up a bit and the weather is generally good. Weather it is chasing Sooty Grunter on our western rivers or Koombooloomba Dam it is a great time to get away. The recent rain that happened across much of the area has cleared op nicely and hopefully freshened up some of the rivers and will ensure there some fish about to catch. Low water levels mean that many rivers are a series of water holes with some joined by running water which can vary from a trickle to quite a strong flow. The area around where any of this flow runs into pools is always a prime target area to fish. Being the best feeding spot in that pool means the dominate fish will usually be stationed there. The clear low water levels also mean that you do need to show some caution while approaching these spots as the fish will be super aware and sensitive to any danger approaching. Our western flowing rivers should also start to warm up in both temperature and fishing during September. That annual Barramundi fishing trip for many is a September proposition for the above reason. If you have been dormant over Winter now is the time to break out and head out.
TINAROO DAM

With the current water level in the dam at 50% and falling the sooner you get up there for a fish the better. Water levels will continue to fall to a level that all boating on the dam is banned. I am not sure what % they take this step but there are still plenty of opportunity to catch a fish of your lifetime in Tinaroo dam. As I have said before , when water levels are this low areas where fresh water is flowing in are a very good spot to start fishing. The level means that the navigable area is severely decreased and you need to be very careful boating around. If you are fishing alone I strongly recommend you wear a PFD at any time you are under way and at all times if you are an old fart like me. Any small collision with underwater trees can have you in the water quicker than you would believe and being thrown in the cold water out of a boat can quickly become serious. Slow trolling is the preferred method at the moment and in spite of a few cold nights the fishing has been quite good and well worth the effort. Ensure that you have an up to date Stocked Impoundment Permit on you at all times as required by law. I wonder if the water level will get as low as 10 years ago, I guess only time will tell but at the current level and amount it is dropping it may well. A great chance for fishermen to go up and have a look at the lay of the land so they have a mind picture when it fills up again.

TIP OF THE MONTH
If you have a young family and you want to take them fishing, camping September is the perfect month as it is starting to warm up and generally the weather is good. As we get further into Summer the hot days can really take a toll on family and there is an ever increasing chance of storms which can also ruin the outing. WE have School Holidays late in September so a weekend outing may sort things out enough to plan a longer outing then. The fishing is also on the improve over this month.

Erskine's Tackle Wolrd
51 Mulgrave Road, Cairns QLD 4870
Ph: 07 4051 6099