51 Mulgrave Road, Cairns QLD 4870
Ph: 07 4051 6099
sales@erskinestackleworld.com.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 16/9/16

Post by subeditor » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:10 pm

BLUEWATER
Well all the predictions are for a hot wet summer season. I am not looking forward to the hot but I certainly am hoping for a big wet. The last few years have sadly lacked any sort of decent wet to flush out our river systems sending a life supporting food flow to our reefs. Big wets usually coincide with good Mackerel and Coral Trout seasons along with many other species. The Mackerel have been about the usual spots when we have been able to get to them through the continual winds. Any small window has seen plenty of boaters out. School, Spotty, and Gray Mackerel are being caught at areas like the Patches and Silver Sands. The numbers are well down on previous years but even a couple of these provide quite a lot of fillet when looked after properly. Spanish Mackerel tend to follow these schools and are also down on numbers. Some Cobia have been mixed in with the mackerel catch and are a welcome addition to any bag. The Gamefishing Season is getting a move on with the Marlin and Sailfish being fairly elusive at the moment so we are looking forward to a late season fishing right through Xmas and into January, weather dependent. Reds and Coral Trout have been patchy with some reporting a bag limit while others struggle for a feed. This will get better as the weather improves this month. I had a report of a Mangrove Jack of 115cm from one of our VIP’S now I haven’t seen or heard of one over 100cm but I would be very happy for anyone who has caught or has a photo that confirms this size to send it to me and I will post it next month. Best of luck to all those members fishing any of the Game fishing comps over the next month.

INSHORE
Our rivers and estuary systems have also suffered from the lack of decent wet season. Barramundi have for a big part not travelled to spawn which will show up over the next couple of years in catch rates. A pattern we have experienced this year as well. Large fish have been along our foreshore but don’t appear to have spawned. A big wet will not only encourage these to spawn and travel back upstream but open up any landlocked areas and the fish held in these areas will head to the salt as well. Schools of Trevally have started to show in many of our rivers. Drifted baits or lures like poppers and chrome slugs matching the bait they are feeding on will do the trick. These school sized Trevally are a prime feed when you have them fresh on the BBQ when you get home. Eat them fresh do not freeze them and you will enjoy prime table fare. As we get the larger Summer tides as we will have this weekend the Grunter will become much more consistent on the Hospital Flats. Fresh fillet of Mullet or Garfish fished on a light sinker is the best rig. For the lure tossers the mighty Mangrove Jack will continue to be the star of our local estuaries. Lures that imitate the predominate bait like Sardines, Mullet, and Prawn should be the go to at the moment. Any area that have some current running on to structure is always well worth a couple of casts and hang on as they are a tough adversary. Low tides will also give you a very good idea of the structure that you are fishing giving you a better idea on how to approach it. Gutters and drains become pathways on and off flats areas so the knowledge of their whereabouts is a big advantage.
CairnsJack16916.jpg
CairnsJack16916_3.jpg
CairnsJack16916_2.jpg
CairnsGrunter16916.jpg

FRESHWATER
As I mentioned last month September is the best month to head out for a camping/fishing trip on the freshwater reaches of our local rivers and those that run west to the Gulf. The current rubbish rain does nothing to encourage getting out camping and hopefully it will pass and we will have beautiful September weather for the School Holidays allowing you all to head out. The Sooth Grunter will become more active with the water warming up and that goes for the Barramundi as well. I don’t think we have had enough rain to get any rivers flowing yet but as I have said before if there are small creeks starting to flow due to the rain than the area around where they flow into the main river will be a good starting spot to fish. Soft Plastic curly tails fished slowly out of these areas should excite anything in the area. If the waterway is clogged with weed and waterlily rig your lures on weedless hooks so you can fish right in. Jungle Perch will also become a much more common target. They may not be very large for the most part but they are a beautiful marked fish and great fun to catch. If you are after a feed head for the salt as they are more common in eating size and much better flavour.
CairnsBarra16916.jpg

TINAROO DAM
With the water level below 50%, School Holidays and the Tinaroo Fish Stocking Society, Tinaroo Barra Bash, Catch and Release Family Fishing Tournament happening over the next couple of months there is going to be plenty out on the Dam. The Tinaroo Fish Stocking Society Tinaroo Barra Bash is to be held on 14-16 OCTOBER this lines up with the FullMoon which should help the scores. As the name suggests it is for the first time a complete RELEASE Tournament and you will need to follow a number of requirements to make your catch qualify. Failure to follow all these steps may mean that your hard earned capture may not be accepted. Make sure you follow the instructions to the letter and ensure your SIP’s Permit is up to date. Not only do you need to nominate but you will also need to register at the site before you start fishing to receive your token that must be shown in the photo of your catch. All the information can be found at http://www.tinaroobarrabash.com.au so get on and check it out. With more acceptable weather conditions there will be a lot more boaters on the water both fishing and any other activity so much more care is needed when we are out there. This Saturday 17 September at 1.30pm John Mondora will be hosting a free information session with a number of experts to explain handling fish for successful release and survival. This will be on the front lawn at Cairns Tackle World 172 Aumuller street. This is a must if you are unsure on the process.
CairnsTrophy16916.jpg

TIP OF THE MONTH
If you have a young family and you want to take them fishing, camping September is the perfect month as it is starting to warm up and generally the weather is good. As we get further into Summer the hot days can really take a toll on family and there is an ever increasing chance of storms which can also ruin the outing. WE have School Holidays in September so with the weather warming up it is a great chance to head up to one of our local dams for a camping trip. The fishing is also on the improve over this month. Make the effort and the experience will be worth it.

Erskine's Tackle Wolrd
51 Mulgrave Road, Cairns QLD 4870
Ph: 07 4051 6099