Benalla Bait & Tackle
191 Bridge St
Benalla, Victoria
Ph: 03 5762 3704
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 22/1/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:36 am

Lakes are all on the decline with most averaging 1.2% weekly. Hopefully today we get some much needed rain. In saying that the fishing has been good around the traps.

Lake Eildon: 44.44%
Fishing: 6/10.
Eildon is producing some big cod at the moment. Trolling the deeper water 7.5m-12m with ac's and bushrangers. Green, purple and pink are all good colours. Flicking spinnerbaits have also been good along the rock walls. Yellas have been quiet, gulping the trees has been ok with the Yellas holding on the structure again. Redfin.... Aren't they a pain sometimes. It's just a chance game with them. I like to fish deeper for them as I find the cod have pushed them deeper. Blades and plastics on the cast and halco crazy deeps and 50mm ac's 30ft with a plastic trolled above. Worms and shrimp are the best bait for them.

Lake Dartmouth: 47.92
Fishing: 8/10.
With dart dropping consistently you would think the trout would be shut down. But it's not the case. A few Benalla boys cleaned up last Saturday on the troll. Down rigging 30-50ft, 3-5 colours of leadcore and second setting on a paravane all catching fish. Tassies in gold, orange, pink and silver are the go. Find and fish the thermocline and the trout won't be far behind.

Broken river: low
The last week has seen a few fish caught, Predominantly on bardis and worms. Lure flickers using spinnerbaits and stumpys with the shallow bibs are getting some Yellas and a few cod. Surface action has been slow but with the full moon coming you should see them become active.

Lake mulwala: 94.40%
Fishing: 7/10.
Mulwala is fishing better and better as the weeks go on. Trolling spinnerbaits has been really effective in the shallow water. Surface action is also getting better, if the wind isn't around. Cheese and bardis are by far the best baits.

Waranga basin: 41.45%
I had the chance to fish waranga Monday. We had a ball at catching heaps of Redfin. The biggest thing was finding the schools of tiny Redfin, once we found them we found the bigger fish underneath. We mostly trolled due to the wind. The Austackle sakana in plasma red was on my rod all day and absolutely brained them. I also ran a plastic above. A 3 inch strike tiger grub in copper berry and that caught some of the smaller fish. We trolled mostly in 10-12ft. We landed 10-12 fish that were 30cm and better but predominantly 6-8inches but still fun.

Enjoy the weekend and for the lucky ones that took Monday off enjoy your 4 day weekend!

Wade

Benalla Bait & Tackle
191 Bridge St
Benalla, Victoria
Ph: (03) 5762 3704
BenallaWeb.jpg
Top: Andrew Jacobs with a 75cm cod caught trolling Nillahcootie.
Bottom left:
Brigga got this solid cod in the broken on a mulwala spinnerbait.
Bottom right:
Plummy with his birthday cod caught at nillah on the troll.