Benalla Bait & Tackle
191 Bridge St
Benalla, Victoria
Ph: 03 5762 3704
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 3/6/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:50 pm

Winter here again and we set our sights more towards trout. But don't be fooled, Redfin and big cod can also be targeted over the winter months.

Waranga basin:
42.42% up 1.17% this week.
Fishing: 7/10.
I had Sunday and Monday off this week and decided to fish waranga. We had great conditions the whole time. We trolled around with Austackle sakanas and were picking up a fish every 5-10min, which is a bit slow. Then we decided to anchor up and try burley up some fish. It worked, but the size of the fish were 8cm-20cm. We caught most of them on 40-50mm strike pro blades in red/orange and gold/silver and only 5 fish on worms. We caught a whole lot of Redfin but most were small. I targeted 15-18ft of water as that's where I was sounding schools and bigger fish. Hopefully in weeks to come the bigger fish become more active as they do this time of year.

Lake Eildon:
31.98% up 0.33% this week
Fishing: 6/10.
It's all bits and pieces around Eildon at the moment. A few trout, Redfin and cod being caught. Not great numbers but most people are catching something. The trout are still to fire but with the lake slowly on the rise this should start to happen. Trolling for trout has been ok in the morning specially in the shallower areas (12-25ft) flatlining pink or white tassies. As the morning gets on lead coring 3-5 colours and a pink tassie the go. Persistence is required at the moment for them so keep changing lures in 10-15min intervals to best find what they want! Redfin are still patchy with a lot of small fish being caught around Bryant inlet and that area.

Lake William hovell:
98.95% up 11.17% this week
Fishing: 8/10.
It doesn't take much for hovell to fill and the fishing is really good at the moment. Previously stated in past reports bait fishing with scrub worms in the newly covered ground isn't the best way to catch trout and Redfin. You can also use cd rapalas, bullet lures and soft plastics. If your out in the boat attractors and worms are by far the best way to catch trout trolling. You can also lead core pink, orange or brown tassie devils.

To be honest I haven't heard much else around the traps. The only other things I have heard.
- a few nice browns caught in the mitta around the township on rapalas.
- small browns and rainbows caught on spinners in the snowy.
- 2 small cod caught down scholls lane in the broken on worms.
- one bloke fished Nillahcootie Tuesday for 1 cod on a oar gee in orange and black.

The forecast is predicting a bit of rain Sunday so check the radar before you head out!

Wade

Wade

Benalla Bait & Tackle
191 Bridge St
Benalla, Victoria
Ph: (03) 5762 3704
BenallaWeb.jpg
Top: Shane Mackay with a 34cm Redfin caught at waranga basin on a Austackle sakana in plasma red.
Bottom left: The author with a 49cm yella also caught at waranga on a custom Redfin pattern Austackle sakana. Bottom right:
Shane Mackay caught this brown trout casting the banks at Eildon.