Benalla Bait & Tackle
191 Bridge St
Benalla, Victoria
Ph: 03 5762 3704
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 16/3/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:59 pm

I hope everyone enjoyed their long weekend, I have been inundated with loads of fishing reports!

Lake Nillahcootie:
84.88% down 2.29% this week.
Fishing: 6.5/10.
Nillahcootie is slowly dropping but the fishing is pretty consistent. Bait fishing around the trees and anchoring around the weed lines and spindally trees have seen the best results. Worms and yabbies have gone well casting towards the weed lines. Some spots you may only be in 6-8ft but he fish don't seem to mind. Trollers have been getting a lot of undersized yellas and cod. The occasional legal has been caugh and one report of a big cod caught near the school camps. The top end of the lake around the 5 knot zone has been popular for the trollers with most better reports coming from that area. As usual codgers are getting the job done with oar-gees and stumpys getting a few. Haven't heard much from casters other than a 67cm caught casting a spinnerbait in sandy creek.

Lake Eildon:
69.25% down 1.32% this week
Fishing: 8/10.
Eildon is still fishing well for Redfin and yellowbelly. Many local anglers enjoyed consistent fishing over there long weekend. Trolling saw some better yellas caught using ac invaders, poltergeists and sakanas. Also running a plastic above the hardbody caught some Redfin. Tree hopping is still the go with running a bait strait down and fanning casts around the boat. Lures like blades, plastics and lipless cranks are the best to cast. White, silver and orange have been great colours for soft plastics. The 3inch strike tiger grub a very popular choice for anglers. We had reports of Redfin caught around howqua, goughs, big River, Bobbie doon and the Delatite so finding the fish hasn't been too hard. I haven't heard much on the cod, only a few smaller specimens caught on the troll. Don't be afraid to throw on a big bit of gear and give it a go because there are monsters in there!

Mulwala:
94.25% Down 1.65% this week
Fishing: 9/10.
Mulwala has been as consistent as anything at the moment. Many local anglers have ventured only to report a great day on the water. Over the long weekend the Tatong Angling group had their annual trip at bundalong. Talking to the members they reported that they believe it was their most successful trip ever. 2 cod in the 90's, 2 in the 80's and countless fish between 40-70. Methods varied from surface fishing to trolling, casting and bait fishing. Red/black, purple and white/orange spinnerbaits were very successful. Bait fishers using yabbies have caught some nice cod in the lower ovens. Other reports include a lot of smaller cod in the shallows off majors and hogans casting spinnerbaits. There continues to be a lot of action on the big wake and swim baits, it a patience game but well worth the effort.

I haven't heard much this week on dart, waranga, Hume, buffalo and hovell but I will state the current heights:

Dartmouth:
77.62% down 0.17% this week

Waranga:
61.21% down 4.67%

Hume:
70.89% down 2.54

Hovell:
84.58% down 2.92%

Buffalo:
63%

Enjoy the rest of your week and I hope you get out over the weekend as the weather forecast is looking great.

Wade

Benalla Bait & Tackle
191 Bridge St
Benalla, Victoria
Ph: (03) 5762 3704
Benalla.jpg
Top left: Ryan with a 42cm yellowbelly caught at Nillahcootie.
Top right: Zac with a chunky clear water cod caught on the cast.
Middle: James plum caught a heap of cod over at bundalong on the weekend.
Bottom right: Stevo with his first cod off the surface and out of the kayak! It measured 80cm.
Bottom left: Lindsay with a 35cm Redfin caught at eildon.