Benalla Bait & Tackle
191 Bridge St
Benalla, Victoria
Ph: 03 5762 3704
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 21/6/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:08 pm

The fishing is still red hot around the grounds, Eildon is amazing, Mulwala continues producing big ones and Humes resident big browns are starting to present themselves more consistently.

Lake Eildon:
65.53% down 0.18% this week
Fishing: 9.5/10.
I'm rating Eildon very high due to most angler catching above average bags of fish for this time of year. Mick continues his crusade on the yellas with 10 yellas over the weekend and countless Redfin with his brother and nieces. Peter keen had a great weekend on the trout landing 13 last weekend. Rhett landed 6 trout yesterday. James plum landed 5 nice browns Saturday morning. Zac and Jackson had a ball flicking lures for redfin and myself catching some fish too. The trout fishing has really picked up over the Delatite side of the lake with bigger bags and bigger trout being landed of late. Winged lures are doing most the damage. Colours have varied from angler to angler but white and pink is generally incorporated in it. Tassies like 4 clown, 39 harlequin, 46 brown trout, 63 pretty fish, 72 eliminator, 96 Abigail, 117 bleeding flamingo, 125 bleeding pearl and pp phosphorous pearl all catching fish on their day. Flatlining and leadcore the best application for these lures. Bullet lures in Redfin, roach and paceys Perch continue to catch fish and the old brown trout rapalas is claiming a few. The yellas are continuing to play the game with gulping a great method to string a lot together. Trolling has also been effective. Austackle sakanas, ac invaders, codgers and halco's crazy deeps have all claimed fish recently. The Redfin are schooling well and have been found on flats generally in 12-25ft of water. Most anglers are trolling over them first then switching over to a blade or plastic to maximise their fishing experience. We did this on Monday with great success landing 70 Redfin between us. We were using 35mm strike pro blades, keitech 2 inch little spider, Berkley gulp 3 inch minnow and soft vibes. While doing this Using a 35mm blade I was unexpectantly met with a the 94cm cod pictured above. Using a 1-3kg diawa silver creek rod, a Stella 1000 and 6 lb leader I fought it for around 45 min with my heart in my mouth. A few quick snaps and we saw the cod swim strong back down to the depths. Eildon is ticking all the boxes with the trout, yellas and Redfin, Let's hope this continues!

Lake Hume:
68.99% up 2.71% this week.
Fishing: 7/10.
Iv finally been given a few reports first hand from hume. The trout fishing has been ok, not amazing yet but a few big browns have been caught recently. 4-7lb browns have been caught using winged lures with pink being a productive colour. Same with Bullet lures and size 3 stumpys in pink. Sessions have been mostly consisting of 1-5 trout with the lucky few getting a few more. Redfin have been ok if you find the schools amongst the trees. Worms and shrimp seem to be outfishing plastics and other lure options at the moment. Bowna arm seems to be a good starting point if you want to chase the reddies. The trout fishing will only improve from now on and I won't be surprised when consistent captures of 6lb + browns start getting caught. Also the lake is on the rise which will only help the cause.

Lake William hovell:
89.30% up 1.68% this week
Fishing: 6/10.
Hovell continues to rise and the fishing has been good. Bank fishing has been the only reports I have had. One local angler fished up there on the long weekend and said he was plagued by little Redfin eating his worms consistently. He did manage to land two browns in the 20's amongst the Redfin. It's a lovely spot and would be a great location to take the kids up to this coming school holidays.

Since the dart cup i haven't heard of any reports but a few locals are heading up there this weekend so should be able to inform you of how they went in next weeks report.

Mulwala continues to produce the cod that it's famous for. Big surface lures like mudeyes, king hits, koolabungs and thirstys have all seen great success of recent. Anglers are also having some great success on jackall gantias and gantrels flicked sub surface. Trolling has continued to produce smaller fish but more consistent. A local motel owner landed 4 cod on a size 3 red and black stumpy over he weekend. What also happened is that an easy meter plus cod attacked their 55cm cod that they hooked on the troll. He almost landed the big cod as it engulfed the smaller cod. Unfortunately he needed another set of hands and his net broke which ultimately led to the big one getting away.

Yet again I haven't heard anything from Nillahcootie.

Wade

Benalla Bait & Tackle
191 Bridge St
Benalla, Victoria
Ph: (03) 5762 3704

Benalla.jpg
Top left: Myself with a 94cm cod caught using Redfin gear and a 35mm blade.
Top right: Luke with a 97cm cod caught at mul on a custom thirsty surface lure.
Middle left: James had a solo mission at eildon landing 5 trout and half a dozen Redfin for the morning.
Middle right: James and Ben with a nice brown and chinook caught at Bullen merri over the weekend.
Bottom left: Phoebe taking a photo of her father Adam with a nice yella from Eildon.
Bottom right: John with his pb yella caught at eildon trolling a austackle sakana.