47 Kinghorne st
Nowra, NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
mccallumssports@shoalhaven.net.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 15/2/19

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:54 pm

The weather gods are playing nice for a cracking Friday and a stunning Saturday for a wide trip out on the big blue.

We’ve had mixed reports and yes the current has started to go north in close and the water has rolled over, heading wider in search of a Blue will see the better water temp that should push back in over the next few days.

For the ladies and gentlemen looking for a feed the usual haunts for example off the surf club at Shoalhaven heads is producing a few good feeder sized Flathead. Who doesn’t enjoy a good feed of flatty tails and a cold beer? We’ve also had solid reports of good sized snapper and morwong just off point Perp throw in a rat king and you’ve got a fun morning.

Back in the estuaries the river in particular the boss man and good mate Andy had a cracking Whiting session using the ever faithful Sugapens in HF-119 put that with Bream and a few sneaky Flathead it can be hours of fun. The boss left us for few days to do his annual run from Tallowa Dam wall to Gradys with reports the Bass fishing being a tad on the slower side, I’m sure the cold beers, campfires and all the laughs you have with 9 other mates made up for the slow fishing. Down the front of the river is still producing good numbers of Bream, Flathead and whiting on the local river prawn we have stocked in our freezers. Quick tip! Fish light get the bite.

St Georges basin is firing! A real stand out lure lately has been the 100mm Samaki Vibelicious Thumper in yakka doing the business for a lot of anglers just like this cracker caught by Anthony Mortimer pictured. The usual wind-affected edges are best fished for your bream and flathead rolling shallow cranks is deadly. Using your sounder can be a massive advantage when looking for bait and them toothy predators. Targeting these things can be highly rewarding with Jews, Snapper, Tailor and even Flathead laying underneath getting a free feed, it’s like a natural berley trail.

In the skinny water I’ve noted the last couple days have had almost an early winter late autumn feel about it. Rolling Cicadas is still where it’s at for me! I can never get sick of that distinctive slurp or boof the Bass have. The soft shell is defiantly the number 1 lure for me but coming into the cooler arvos the flashy swimmer rigged on a 1/0 with a Berkeley t-tail minnow is an absolute must have in the arsenal. For anyone willing why not try sight cast a few euro invaders (carp) you’d be surprised at how hard these things go! Try rigging small soft plastics on a 1/20th jig head hidden weight with a size 2 hook. With a good cast these things cannot help themselves.

McCallum's Tackle World
47 Kinghorne St, Nowra
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
fishin@mccallumstackleworld.com.au