47 Kinghorne st
Nowra, NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
mccallumssports@shoalhaven.net.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 28/10/15

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:17 pm

If previous Christmases are any indication, I suggest over the next few weeks you get out and get your fishing fix because from mid December our waterways will start to become more like a busy car park as families from all over converge on our little slice of heaven.

In the next couple of weeks we have a few fishing comps happening in the local area, on Sunday the 8th of November is the Flathead Classic on St Georges Basin run by the Basin Lure And Fly Club, this is a great comp for both the serious fisho and the family with a friendly atmosphere but still some healthy rivalry between local anglers and some great prizes up for grabs too. The second is run by Southern Bass and is on the 14th and 15th of November on Tallowa Dam, this is a teams event fishing for Bass. It too has a friendly atmosphere and as with most competitions it also has a healthy rivalry between local anglers. If you're interested in either comp you can call into the shop here for details and an entry form. I have fished both over the years so I can give you a rundown on what happens.

On the fishing scene we have pretty much the same things happening as the last couple of weeks, it’s that time of the year where nothing much changes for a month or two as the water temp remains pretty stable as too does the weather patterns. Apart from the occasional afternoon thunderstorm. The bass are still on the chew in the river and with the water in the dams warming they are now beginning to produce a few fish also. The lower river has had a few Jew around the usual haunts but mainly smaller school size fish which are still good fun! The flathead in St Georges Basin are copping a flogging but it’s good to see anglers doing the right thing and putting the big girls back and only keeping enough for a feed.

Jervis bay has turned up a few smaller kingfish but really nothing to note as yet apart from the whale shows of course. The squid are very hit and miss with the better catches coming from the southern side of the bay.

For the tackle rats there are some great new lures and colours hitting the shelves as I write! We’ve just got in a heap of new gulp colours suited to species such as flathead, bream and snapper and if you haven’t seen the new range of Jackson bream and bass lures I suggest you get yourself into the shop and check them out, the cicada is a killer!

Johnny
McCallum's Tackle World
47 Kinghorne St
Nowra NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418