47 Kinghorne st
Nowra, NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
mccallumssports@shoalhaven.net.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 11/11/15

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:43 pm

Looking back from a fisherman’s point of view at the past few years I would have to say that this spring has been right up there with one of the best we’ve had in a long while. Overall the weather and conditions have been favourable for the fisho after a wild windy winter and the fishing, well what can I say about the fishing? It really has been that good especially in our estuaries. I can’t recall a season where I heard of so many reports of big flathead being caught in St Georges Basin and it just seems to be getting better. The prawns have also started to run in the Basin mainly around that South Eastern shoreline, so apart from going and catching a feed or some fresh bait, fishing these flats with surface walkers and poppers is definitely a worthwhile proposition as there should be plenty of bream witting and flathead patrolling these flats in search of the unawares prawn!

Jervis Bay has had a great run of squid over the past few months and now both snapper and kingfish have shown up in and around the bay giving anglers plenty of fun whilst stretching there tackle and arms to their limits.

The lower Shoalhaven continues to fish well for blackfish, Jewfish and some big flathead with reports of a couple of fish over the magic meter mark being taken in the last week. The upper river has been pretty amazing with the bass and estuary perch fishing second to none and now the prawns have started to move in the river flathead are also being caught upstream as far as Longreach.

Offshore the warm water is coming and the first marlin for the season have already been caught of both Sydney and Wollongong so the fish shouldn’t be too far away from our section of the coast.

The rock fishing for drummer and blackfish has also been good and there have plenty of salmon in the early mornings and evenings patrolling the washes, just recently some big kingfish have also been hooked from the stones by the LBG fisho’s.

The local freshwater dams had been a little quiet as the water in them does take a little longer to warm up due to their depth, but after a recent trip to Tallowa in particular Bendella I can say that the dams are now fishing well on their day. The day we fished was far from perfect with a low barometer matched with windy and overcast conditions but the fish were really on the chew with multiple surface strikes and several fish up to around the 40cm mark in a short amount of time. My wife Leslee caught her first ever bass, starting off with a small fish of around 15cm,then about ten casts latter catching the fish of the afternoon measuring close to 40cm and all within a 5 minute paddle from Bendella picnic area.

Johnny
McCallum's Tackle World
47 Kinghorne St
Nowra NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
NowraWeb.jpg
Leslee Nolan with her second ever bass from Bendella.