47 Kinghorne st
Nowra, NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
mccallumssports@shoalhaven.net.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 11/12/15

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:37 pm

We had a great start to the Bass season, an awesome spring flathead run and we are now having one of the best starts to the prawning season I have ever seen. For the past couple of weeks Lake Wollumbulla at Culburra has been the focus of what can only be described as a phenomenon! The lake opened the middle of this year during the flood and stayed open long enough for the prawn spawn to get in there and stay trapped once the sand bar built back up causing the lake to once again close off to the ocean. The prawns have now grown to a reasonable size and are well and truly “on the run” and ripe for the harvest. I have been out there a couple of times during the past week and just let me say if you haven’t been YOU NEED TO GO! Grab the kids your gear and go, because honestly you may never experience prawning like it again. Between four of us we managed about 40kg in and hour with the scoop nets and one light.

A couple of things you need to know. 1- if you haven’t got a fishing license you need one for prawning if you are over 18, unless you have a pension or veterans affairs card, and the Fisheries have been patrolling so be warned! 2 there is a bag limit on prawns which is 10 liters per person which is more than enough. 3. Everyone has been pretty good out there so please be considerate of other people; there is plenty of water and gazillions of prawns to go around. And finally have fun! It's a natural wonder which us older folk may never see again!

Something else to talk about this week which hasn’t happened for a long time is the capture of two yellowfin on the south west hump at the banks; I haven’t got all the details yet as I have only just heard of this report. There were also a couple of nice kings caught around the 10kg mark in the same area so hopefully they will start to show again after they did the Houdini from a few weeks back.

So for this week it’s all prawning, prawning, prawning. Call into McCallums Tackle World Nowra for all the great bargains from our current catalogue. Be good and stay safe!

Johnny
McCallum's Tackle World
47 Kinghorne St
Nowra NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
NowraWeb.jpg
Leslee emptying her catch ready for another scoop.
NowraWeb2.jpg
About 5 minutes worth of scooping from a 5 metre stretch.