47 Kinghorne st
Nowra, NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
mccallumssports@shoalhaven.net.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 22/1/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:38 pm

Summer so far has dished out some pretty crazy weather, and somehow I don’t think we’ve seen the last of it! As much as I love the warm weather I do look forward to seeing the end of it and I can’t wait for those nice cool crisp autumn mornings. I guess the heat this week is just a reminder that we still have a way to go before these days come, so buckle up and enjoy the ride of a typical south coast summer!

So what better to do than head to the beach in summer? Weather it be fishing, swimming, diving or surfing although with the amount of bitey’s around at the moment fishing seems the much better option not having to go into the water LOL! Beach fishing options are a plenty in our area and it can be as easy as parking at one of the more popular car parks like the surf clubs at Culburra or Shoalhaven heads walking across the sand and throwing in a line or lure or if you’re up for a walk you have places like Steamers, Target, Five Mile (bherwerre) and all of seven mile beach to wander if you wish to get away from the crowds. All of these beaches are producing fish at the moment, whiting, salmon, tailor, a few smaller Jew and plenty of bait stealing sharks and rays to keep you on your toes are all being taken. If you’re after a Jew of the beach from tonite onwards would be my pick of the times with the high tide coinciding with sundown. There are plenty of nice holes and gutters along our beaches at present and I’m sure there are Jew patrolling them looking for a feed!

If you’re after a feed of salmon for the good old Tai fishcake recipe or maybe some tailor for the smoker all of the above beaches have plenty on offer and are producing right throughout the day if the gutter your fishing is deep enough. Whole or half salted pillies are a top bait and stay on well when you cast and are your best option. I like to run a half pilliy on a 1/0 size hook, it just gives you that option of picking up a bream as well, alternatively if I’m tossing out a whole pilliy 3/0 gangs are a good size to suit the current pillys.

Offshore the majority of the marlin bite is still to the north, both stripes and blues are being hooked and a couple more nice dollies have also been taken. There are still no sign of the black Marlin at the Banks or in close around the rocks but there have been a few nice kings showing this past week giving the land based fisho’s and small boat fisho’s a bit of fun.

In the Shoalhaven/Crookhaven river system the fishing has been fairly typical for this time of year, blackfish, flathead some nice bream after dark and a few nice size jew are also being caught on the right tide.

Johnny
McCallum's Tackle World
47 Kinghorne St
Nowra NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
NowraWeb3.jpg
NowraWeb2.jpg