Report 19/2/16

McCallum's Tackle World
47 Kinghorne st
Nowra, NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
Nicole Penfold

Report 19/2/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:53 pm

With all the Marlin talk over the past month or so the bread and butter species such as bream, flathead and whiting have all sought of taken a back seat in my reports. So for these next couple of weeks I'll focus on these species and where there being caught and how to target them in the Shoalhaven/Crookhaven River system. The first species we’ll target is bream. Now there are two species of bream in our waterways the yellowfin or silver bream and the black bream, the later of the two is more the species targeted by the sporting lure fisho as they tend to grow as thick solid fish and are somewhat dirty fighters and more of a challenge to catch! I don’t know how many lures I’ve donated over the years to big black bream especially to the lure crunching fish of Broughten creek.

At present there have been a few fish both in the creek and both east and west of the entrance along the rocky banks with fish pushing the 40cm mark quite common in these past couple of weeks. The majority of these fish will probably be the black bream which have been pushed out of the creek with the recent fresh. The lures of choice in soft plastics has to be either the old faithful squidgy 80mm bloodworm wriggler or the new squidgy prawn in the small wriggler tail pattern in either bloodworm or cracked pepper colours. I find fishing these plastics on a 1.5g to 3g head depending on current works best. In the open river 4lb braid and 6lb fluoro carbon leader is ample and will handle most fish but once you venture up the creek leader size really needs to be upgraded to about 8lb just to give you some reassurance around the snags.

Other areas where bream are being taken in the river include the canal which joins the Shoalhaven and Crookhaven River fished on the slack of either low or high tide. Along the rocks on the south western side of the ferry in the canal are producing some nice yellowfin bream also up around that 40cm mark, apart from lures e.g. blades and soft plastics baits also fished in this area are quite successful, live nippers pumped from nearby sand flats are high on the list and are my first choice.

Up towards the river mouth of the Crookhaven bream have been patrolling the shallower sand flats during the cover of darkness along with some nice flatties and the odd jewfish, again live nippers are hard to go past but if you do not have the facilities to pump the nippers strip baits of slimy mackerel or stripey tuna are a pretty good substitute. Anchoring just of the sand flat and casting baits on to the shallows is a pretty good way to go about it.

McCallum's Tackle World
47 Kinghorne St
Nowra NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
Chris with a 39cm fork bream from the lower Crookhaven River last weekend.
Shacko with his winning 94cm flatty from the Conjola Comp last weekend.