47 Kinghorne st
Nowra, NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
mccallumssports@shoalhaven.net.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 10/3/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:57 pm

The water temp is slowly beginning to cool after an awesome run of hot tropical water. This warm water has been a thriving metropolis of our coast for species such as marlin, dolphin fish, Wahoo and I even had reports of a Spanish mackerel free jumping inside jarvis bay this last week, this report comes from a fairly reliable source and the guy in question does know his fish. Unfortunately as the water does get cooler and cooler the species I have just mentioned will slowly dissipate. This however does not mean the end of the world as this slightly cooler water brings with it a new range of species such as snapper, kingfish and hopefully a few tuna! In fact there have already been some good reports of all three of these fish species being caught in this last week, well not so much the tuna but definitely some snapper and kings! The tuna have still been wider of Sydney. Hopefully the cooler water temps will also bring on the crays for the divers looking for a feed. It’s amazing how many people instantly become your best friend when you tell them you are going Cray diving, you can understand why though as they are pretty good chewing if cooked right!

Although the water is cooling the temperature out of the water seems to be getting hotter and hotter, summer is definitely having a crack this year. Good news for the bass fisho’s though and I can even still hear cicada’s buzzing in the trees. The north/north east winds we are getting of late which are usually coastal are reaching into town and further west blowing these cicadas’ out of the safety and comfort of their trees and onto the waters surface where big bass are awaiting in anticipation for a top up feed before they begin to prepare for their journey downstream for their winter spawning run. So for the next few weeks a cicada imitation surface lure is probably your best choice and still one of the most exciting ways to catch a bass. Find that tree the cicada’s are hanging in, wait for a hot windy arvo, shouldn’t have to wait too long, then cast that cicada imitation into the strike zone and hang on, fish in these areas are usually of reasonable size being well feed up on cicadas so be prepared to lose the odd lure or two! The Jackson cicada we had earlier in the season in the shop is now back in stock and we have doubled the colour range with some awesome new additions and even a glow in the dark! Mention this report any time up until next Wednesday and we will give you 20% off these fantastic lures and all other bass surface lures! They really are a great imitation, one of the best I’ve seen with realistic soft rubber legs and transparent plastic wings. The new model also has now incorporated a split ring on the hook for better hook-ups and easy hook changing.

Finally a big congrats to the winners and place getters and to all those who fished the Shoalhaven round of the Southern bream series last Sunday. As per usual with any bream comp on the river there were mixed reports with some doing well and others struggling to find one fish let alone a bag, The Shoalhaven is definitely one system that come comp time really plays hard ball so anyone who does do well on the river in a competition situation, I take my hat off to you.

McCallum's Tackle World
47 Kinghorne St
Nowra NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
NowraWeb.jpg
Gavin with a solid cicada imitation caught bass from out local waters.