47 Kinghorne st
Nowra, NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
mccallumssports@shoalhaven.net.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 25/11/16

Post by subeditor » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:04 pm

Wow... who was up early enough to see that fantastic sunrise yesterday morning...Unfortunately I was and I say unfortunately because it wasn’t for fishing...We were on my way to Wollongong and noticed it when heading through Kiama...It was quite spectacular!

More importantly who got out for a fish on the weekend? Let’s see Pics guys and gals!

There are plenty of fish around, both the Shoalhaven River and St Georges Basin are starting to warm up finally. The river is fishing well for flatty ‘s right throughout with fish pushing as far upstream as Longreach although the bigger fish seem to be more down towards the entrance of the Crookhaven around Muscle island and drop-offs heading from Greenwell Point to the River mouth. There are also good numbers of whiting pushing upstream and can be seen cruising the sand flats again as far upstream as Longreach but have been proving a little hard to catch on the surface lures, these fish are no doubt full of prawns which have plentiful in the river thus making them not have to work too hard for a feed. If you can come across a school that hasn’t gorged themselves on prawns you may stand half a chance of catching them on the surface lures. We have a massive range of poppers, stick baits and walk the dog lures on the wall and in the bargain bins especially for the whiting so come in and check them out!

St Georges Basin played host to yet another fishing comp last weekend, The Chris Webber Memorial Flathead Classic was once again successfully run with a huge turn out by locals and out of towners! As per usual there were some cracking fish caught during the comp with the winning team of Wal & Trev averaging 730mm for their five fish bag which is as good as it gets if you ask me! As per usual a good time was had by all. Well done to all the winners, sponsors and to Geoff and his team for putting on another great family day of fun and fishing and no doubt a little bit of drinking once fishing was done.
NowraFlatty251116.png
Other reports from the Basin are that like the river, the whiting have finally started to show on the flats in numbers with some solid fish hitting the surface with gusto. Now that the water is warming it’s only going to get better the closer we get to summer and pretty soon there should also be bream, flathead and some big rogue tailor cruising the flats jockeying for position to see who can eat your lure first.
NowraFlatty251116_2.png
The Prawn season is in its early stages in all three of our local systems, the Shoaly has plenty of prawns in the deeper holes which at the moment don’t seem to be running and are not leaving the safety of this deeper water, and really you can’t blame them with the amount of Bass and perch still in the saltwater parts of our river. The lake out at Woolumbulla has a few prawns starting to kick around but nothing like last year yet. I say yet because at this stage the lake is still open and the prawns in there are most likely sitting in what deep water they can find thus not cruising into the shallows allowing prawners accesses to these tasty morsels. Once the lake closes I’m sure things will start to fire and hopefully we see a reproduction of last year’s epic season...ah the memories!

In St Georges Basin the next dark should be a good indication of what sort of season we are going to have in there, although I have heard of a couple of nice catches already from the Christian Mindy side.
Hope you all enjoyed my report...be good and stay safe!
Johnny

Check out the below pics from the Webber Classic!
Jack Stanwell taking out the junior section with this 94cm beast! and
Wal & Trev with a couple of their monstor lizards that contributed to their awsome bag and taking out the teams section!

McCallum's Tackle World
47 Kinghorne St
Nowra NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418