47 Kinghorne st
Nowra, NSW 2541
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
mccallumssports@shoalhaven.net.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 10/8/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:29 pm

The fishing hasn’t been a total loss lately; it’s just been a little slower than the warmer months when the fish are a little more active. With water temps in both The River and The Basin hovering around the 12-14 degree mark it’s no wonder the fishing is a little slow, us humans aren’t the only species that slows down in the cold weather ya know.

So what is biting? And where?

Reports from the river are mainly focused on the schools of estuary perch which are quite thick in certain sections of the system. The Nowra Bridge...The mouth of Broughten Creek and up through the Canal is where you will find the majority of these fish...Remember it is still closed season on these guys so any caught should be released ASAP after a quick snap maybe. The Flathead are bitting intermittently with obvious mixed reports of good fishing and slow fishing....alls I can suggest is if you’re having a slow day on the flaty’s is keep moving and hunting them until you find fish that want to feed, there is no point sitting in the same spot repeatedly casting lures to the same fish if they aint gunna eat, sure you might get lucky and snag 1 or 2 but I believe they are lazy feeders this time of year and don’t travel much even with the change of the tide.
The Jewies are still a plenty in the river and my suggestion for them would be to follow the perch...in a lot of circumstances where you find EP’s you will find Jewies...getting them to bight sometimes though is another kettle of fish all together(excuse the pun)! A good place to start with jewie lures is the ever popular Samaki Vibilitiuos and with a couple of new colours in them due to hit the shelves later this week I’m sure there will be a few keen anglers fishing them weather aside and producing the goods.

In JB it’s nothing short of leather jacket central! Yes there are plenty of squid to be caught but with the amount of jackets around you really do have to question is it worth it? Can I afford to lose all those jigs? For most of us the answer is no....in a lot of cases the loss of 5 jigs can be $100 or more which just isn’t viable. If you are desperate for a feed of these tasty morsels...places like boat harbour at Gerringong...Kiama harbour and even Ulladulla Harbour all hold squid and more importantly are away from the jackets...and sometimes places like Plantation Point or Monna Monna creek rocks at Vincentia are less prone to the jacket infestation...however this is never guarantied so squid at your own risk! Risk of becoming poor!

Around the rocks the drummer are bitting on floating cabbage baits and there are some nice trevally up around the 1-1.5kg mark on the ledges south of the Bay in the National park. If you get these guys into a bit of a frenzy with berley they will hit just about anything shiny or even not shiny like small soft plastics and when the ocean is clam you can get down there with your light gear and have some reel fun on these guys. Always watching the sea of course and wearing the correct safety gear and appropriate clothing and footwear and of course never fishing alone!

McCallum's Tackle World
47 Kinghorne St, Nowra
Ph: (02) 4421 2418
fishin@mccallumstackleworld.com.au