Report 26/6/19

Mal McKinlay
malcolmmckinlay0@gmail.com
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 26/6/19

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:21 pm

What happened? Here we were near the end of June enjoying some beautiful cold winter nights and calm, sunny winter days when the weather Gods decided to dump over a 100mls of rain in just 3 days. Now I know the sceptics will say it is quite normal to get this much rain in the middle of our supposedly driest time of the year but it does seem to me that our planet is getting a little bit Topsy Turvy…Global Warming?

Gilligan came up for a couple of days so we headed out on the river in the middle of the June neap tides targeting gar and bream. The river waters were very clear except for a very fine weed, like cornflakes, that made fishing almost impossible on the incoming tide. There were vast deposits of this weed littered all over the river bed, in the washouts and deeper sections. Hopefully this rain we are experiencing will flush it out to sea. We fished 2 mornings on the run in tide but ended up with only a handful of bream to 28cms and gar for our efforts. A forty knot south westerly didn’t allow me to fish my normal spots but the difference between fishing around the Full Moon tides and the half moon tides is like chalk and cheese. The influence the Moon has on all fishes feeding and breeding habits has been recorded by man since time began and if you need to be convinced just go and fish the Maroochy on half moon or neap tides. The tidal movement between low and high tides is so slow on neap tides and I have proved it time and again…Slow Tides Slow Bite.

While we were trying to find to find a spot out of the wind on 2 different occasions, I was very surprised to come across a couple of quality whiting (mid-thirties) lazing around the sand flats near Picnic Point. When this rain finally finishes, it might just be worthwhile having a crack at them with soldier crabs or mud worms even though it is in the middle of winter.

With the July 3 New Moon only a few days away fishing should improve all round as the tidal flow increases between high and low water. The obvious species to target right now is yellow fin bream and there are plenty in the river, but during daylight hours you will be lucky to get them up to 30cms in length. For the bigger fish, night time will prove a winner. If you haven’t become old and lazy like myself and you can still thread your 6lb line through the eye of your hook without using a magnifying glass, then night fishing will definitely improve the quality of your catch. I am quite sure there are bream in the mid-thirty centimetre range in the river, for the taking. Other species to target are silver trevally on metal slugs and soft plastics during the day…look for them working the bait schools on the river surface. There should also be tailor down near the river mouth. When I used to target tailor in the last century I found that the best time for them was after dark on the young flood tide or a couple of hours before the high tide. Easiest bait is pilchards or small whole gar with a 3 gang rig of 4/0’s and a 20lb trace.

There are plenty of worms on the beach at Kawana and after the sea settles down following this rain system there will be some good holes and gutters form in the stretch from Point Cartwright to Currimundi. There might just be some oversize dart waiting here for a well presented bait, but you’ll never know unless you go.

For more info about anything fishing, contact me on malcolmmckinlay0@gmail.com.

Good Luck, Mal McKinlay