Report 31/7/19

Mal McKinlay
malcolmmckinlay0@gmail.com
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 31/7/19

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:57 pm

In my last report I mentioned that my favourite fishing times are around the Full moon and New moon phases. There are times however when I’ve fish half-moon tides (neaps) and experienced very good results. This happened to me only last week when I had occasion to be on the river the day after the half-moon in the middle of the neap tides.

After consultation with my outboard mechanic and a local business in Maroochydore called Oz Propellers I replaced the original battered 13-inch pitch prop on my 18-year-old, 40 hp Mariner with a new 11-inch pitch prop. Oz Propellers were very helpful and within an hour of contacting them the new prop was fitted. So of course I had a perfect reason to get on the river and try it out. The improvement was remarkable, with better take off torque and less propeller cavitation on sharp turns. Cruising speed revs have hardly changed at all.

So back to the fishing. Even though it was a neap tide, the weather was perfect, the tide was making and there was no way I was going home without wetting a line. At my favourite gar spot, using yabbies for bait, I was soon entertained by quality gar and big fat bream that were grabbing the gar float like there was no tomorrow (for a few of them there was no tomorrow). The gar were very finnicky on the bight but held on the burley trail for an hour or so, allowing me to catch a good feed of 15, plus 2 big fat bream to 30cms and a tarwhine to 34cms. It goes to show, that there is no written law in fishing that determines what part of the moon phase the fish are going to be biting. Full moon or no moon at all, if you make the effort sometimes you will reap the reward.

On the New moon at the end of July I teamed up with a couple of my Kawana surf club mates, Thorpy and Rosco. We fished the run back tide, targeting bream without a lot of success. I moved to my favourite gar spot to fish the run-in tide, set my burley bucket and as soon as the water started to run with a bit of gusto the gar came on the bight. Mixed in with the gar were some very good bream and tarwhine. Thorpy and I were kept busy for an hour and a half, finally boating 21 gar, 4 bream and a tarwhine to 33cms (we threw back heaps of bream that were legal size but did not reach my personal requirement of 28cms). Rosco was anchored only a few metres away but only managed 1 gar and 1 bream.

One of the lessons to be taken away from here is how important your set up is when you target a specific species (in this case gar). He did not have a burley bucket to attract the fish to the back of his boat and he was using the wrong float system. Rosco was using a fixed pencil float that floated flat on the surface and he could not weight his bait sufficiently to reach the fish at the desired depth they were feeding (about 5 feet). The bream also need the bait to be presented at a depth within their strike zone. The best rig to use is a vertical running float rig with a line stopper on the top of the float so that your hook / bait can be adjusted to any depth you require. If you are not sure what I’m talking about, just do a You Tube on luderick fishing, there is a myriad of fishing videos on this subject.

As I am a fervent summer whiting fisherman I must say that this winter has been a pleasant diversion with the quantity and quality of bream and tarwhine that I have been fortunate enough to catch. I am sure that all the keen bream fishos are enjoying their best season for years.

For more info about anything fishing, contact me on malcolmmckinlay0@gmail.com. Good luck! - Mal McKinlay

20190729_155328.jpg
20190725_142842.jpg