Report 3/9/19

Mal McKinlay
malcolmmckinlay0@gmail.com
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 3/9/19

Post by Nicole Penfold » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:58 pm

And so we move into the time of the year when the Maroochy River suffers the fishing doldrums. For those of you who are not sure what I am talking about, Google’s interpretation of ‘doldrums’ is…Noun, a state or period of stagnation or depression. Of course I’m talking about the crossing over of seasons, from winter into our summer species, WHITING!

The garfish have well and truly finished their winter run and although I managed a few reasonable sessions on them this season, they didn’t seem to come on in their usual numbers. Hopefully it’s just a one-off season and not a sign of things to come. I was very impressed with the number and quality of yellow fin bream in the river this winter. Although I don’t normally target them, I caught quite a lot while fishing for gar using the float and burley trail system. I must admit they provided me with a lot of extra enjoyment as they are good scrappers on light gear and of course they are pretty good chewing when you get them big enough for a decent fillet. My last 2 trips at the end of August and early September produced only a few undersized bream, which would indicate to me that except for a few stragglers, the bream have also headed to their summer retreat till next winter.

By all predictions, it looks like we are in for a long, hot dry summer which does not necessarily mean a river full of elbow slapper whiting, in fact it could mean quite the opposite. For the whiting to congregate in numbers in the lower reaches of the river we are going to need a good flush out of rain. The river now is crystal clear after many weeks of clear sunny days and you can see the bottom in just about all parts of the river. This means of course that the whiting can see you from the moment you put your boat in at the boat ramp giving them a distinct advantage in the stealth and guile stakes.

One good thing I have noticed on my last 2 trips (particularly with the water clarity) is the many new ‘whiting water’ places forming in the river. There are a lot of new shallow banks and gutters around towards the river mouth and along different parts of Goat Island which will be ideal for whiting on the incoming tide. The channels and sand banks around Chambers Island and Picnic Point are also looking good and I have seen a few good size flathead scuttle away as I passed over them recently on the high tide. Remember to look for places where the water is running with force over the shallow banks causing undulations and washouts. This is where the better sized whiting hole up waiting to ambush an unsuspecting yabby or soldier crab.

There are plenty of places around Goat Island to pump yabbies just go for a sortie on the falling tide and look for the trillions of holes where they live. There are good yabbies to be found also along the Picnic Point foreshore up near the boat ramp, if you are land based.
Okay, so I know all you whiting fishos are like me now, chaffing at the bit, but you will still have to wait for a month or so of the doldrums, till you can start to chase some serious fish. Top bait for whiting will be mud or blood worms for those lucky enough to be able to get them. Poor old pensioners like myself will just have to settle for yabbies or soldier crabs and believe me soldier crabs run a very close second to worms when it comes to elbow slapper whiting.

For more info about anything fishing, contact me on malcolmmckinlay0@gmail.com. Good luck!

Mal McKinlay