Report 6/7/18

Mal McKinlay
malcolmmckinlay0@gmail.com
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 6/7/18

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:38 pm

I have been writing this column for just over a year now and if nothing else has been achieved my articles have become a good log of the seasonal cycles of the Maroochy river. A lot of fish species in the river can be caught all year round, however most of them are truly seasonal and once you know their regular patterns your strike rate will improve dramatically. If you reflect back to my reports of this time last year, you will see that nothing much has changed. The same winter species you were chasing last year are lining up again right now.

On my last trip around the July full moon I managed quality garfish to 32cm and some fat bream to 30cm. These are just 2 of the winter species that are abounding in the river right now. At the cleaning table at Picnic Point the ground was a carpet of scales, which indicated to me that a lot of bream have been cleaned here in the past 2 weeks. For those of you prepared to fish at night you should be rewarded with quality bream using fresh flesh baits and yabbies. There are lots of places around Goat Island that will produce big fish. Look for deeper drop offs and channels next to structure such as bold banks, jetties and pontoons. The secret is to get a good burley trail going to bring them on the bight. A good place to start is near the restaurant on the river at Cotton Tree. From there you can work your way upstream along the Duporth St high-rise’s pontoons and jetties. Anywhere they can get a bit of cover in deep water you should be able to pull a few finny bream. You could always try around the motorway bridge if you don’t mind fishing with the multitudes.

Most of you would know by now that my fishing fetish is sand whiting and although you will still catch the odd one at this time of the year most whiting fishos now have to be patient and wait for winter to run its course.

For the school holidays if I wanted to save the kids from boredom or small screen fever I would target garfish on the run-up tide (refer to my report 18/4/18 for more info on rigging for gar ). Not only will they have a great time, you could well end up with enough sweet fillets to feed the whole family. Tailor have been making their annual winter run and you should be able to get a few near the bar mouth on the making tide, where the channels from the main river and Cotton Tree meet. I believe pilchards have been the bait of preference. The serious fishos have been landing some very big tailor and jewies around the motorway bridge with live baits. The river is currently chockers with beautiful big sea mullet, having a spell on their annual migration up the coast.

The rain periods have been consistent even in the middle of winter, leaving the water a murky colour from half tide down. I believe this is one of the factors the fishing is so good in the Maroochy at the mo.

If you want a good read for your kids or grand kids, check out my children’s mediaeval fantasy book, Perils of Netherworld. Go to my facebook page Perils of Netherworld or my web site perilsofnetherworld.com and read all about it.

For more info about anything fishing, contact me on malcolmmckinlay0@gmail.com.

Good Luck, Mal McKinlay