Report 16/8/18

Mal McKinlay
malcolmmckinlay0@gmail.com
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 16/8/18

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:47 am

I have been away in the van for a while, so I haven’t spent a lot of time on the Maroochy river. I spent a week at Evans Head, a seaside village situated at the mouth of the Evans river in northern NSW. Although it is not as big as some of the nearby rivers such as the Richmond and Clarence it is typical of NSW estuary systems with lots of sandbanks and man-made rock walls. These are ideal places for most estuary species to live in. I tried for luderick, bream and flathead but came home disappointed. I put a lot of the lack of fish down to the water clarity which was so clear there were no places for the fish to congregate. The river system is pristine and all the sand banks for kilometres up and down the river are chockers with yabbies. This would be a great destination for big whiting during the summer months.

I fished the Maroochy when I got back (around the August new moon) and I was rewarded with some quality bream and garfish and my first decent whiting for a couple of months. As I was moseying around the river there were bream of all sizes darting around in the clear water conditions. After a month of dry balmy winter days, the river is the clearest it has been all year. This makes it harder to catch the bigger bream during the day as they spook very easily in these clear conditions. For those keen to get a few big bream before the season finishes I reckon night fishing would produce better results.

The garfish were quite slow on the bite compared to earlier, in May. The one consolation was that half a dozen of them were the biggest and fattest I have caught this gar season. Hopefully I will get a last chance on the gar coming up to the August full moon because after that they will be gone till next year. Also after the August full moon, the bream run will slow down to a trickle, so you better get crackin’ if you want to nail some of those quality fish over 30cm.

Of course, the good news to come out of all of this is that my favourite pastime (whiting fishing) is only a month or so away. It is looking like a dry lead into summer, weather wise, so it will be interesting to see how this affects the numbers and the size of whiting in the river this summer. The run of dry winter weather continues, which makes it such a pleasure to be on the water at this time of the year, so you'd best get out and enjoy it. I reckon the flathead fishos will pull some monsters from the river this spring as the water warms up.

I would be targeting bream and gar for another couple of weeks then start looking for whiting and flathead around the Goat and Chambers Island section of the river.

For more info about anything fishing, contact me on malcolmmckinlay0@gmail.com.

Good Luck, Mal McKinlay

Malcolm.jpg