Report 31/5/17

Mal McKinlay
malcolmmckinlay0@gmail.com
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 31/5/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed May 31, 2017 9:00 am

Last week my mate and I were fortunate enough to land some good whiting up to 38cm around Goat Island and towards the river mouth. However, with neap tides occurring next week the slow tide activity will put a brake on the whiting bite. It could be worth your while to try for bream in the deeper parts of the river on yabbies and flesh baits, or have a crack at some Garfish. Garfish are prolific in the Maroochy at this time of the year. They grow in excess of 30cm, are a wonderful table fish when filleted and boned properly and such fun to catch especially for the kids. I will give you more information on them next week.

TRIP PLANNING
In my last report I discussed the advantages of using live bait (in particular soldier crabs) when targeting whiting in the Maroochy River. But there’s more to it than just pumping a few yabbies or collecting some soldier crabs at low tide.

Regardless of which species of fish you would like to catch, the most crucial element to consider is planning the trip.

There are many things I do before I go anywhere near the river. Firstly, because I’m retired I sometimes have to work out what day it is. I try to avoid fishing on weekends because of the increased traffic at the boat ramps and on the water. The Maroochy River is besieged by water craft of all descriptions on the weekends. In particular there are many jet skis (too many to count). A few of these are driven at breakneck speed by testosterone-loaded young males with a desire to make life a living hell for fish or fisher folks who are looking for a quiet day on the water. These guys have absolutely no water etiquette, manners, respect for other people or common sense. It is a problem that needs to be addressed by authorities and it is only a matter of time before there is a fatal accident.

Anyway I’ve got that off my chest – back to fishing.

I base all of my fishing trips around the Moon cycles. The Moon’s influence on successful fishing is everything. The position of the Moon to the Earth determines the depth of water at high tide and low tide and everything in between. Each month there is a new moon and a full moon. On these moon phases the high tides are very high and the low tides are very low. This increases the flow of water in and out of the river which in turn increases the activity of all fish species. This is when I get fair dinkum about catching those big arm slapper whiting. When I know these dates of the month I then set about planning my next trip to coincide with one or both of these events. Next, I look at the weather and wind predictions for the week leading up to the next new or full moon. There is nothing worse in a boat than getting belted by strong winds or coming home soaked to the skin. The final part of the equation is the time of High or Low tide. This will determine when I can gather bait and whether I fish the run in tide or the run out tide.

There are a few websites on the internet that you can get all this information from. My favourite and my Bible is Willy Weather.com. Just Google Maroochy River – Picnic Point Tides and you have the choice of selecting any or all of the above information.

If you would like to ask me any questions or share your fishing photos feel welcome to contact me on my email at malcolmmckinlay0@gmail.com.

Good Luck, Mal McKinlay