Report 1/2/18

Mal McKinlay
malcolmmckinlay0@gmail.com
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 1/2/18

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:25 pm

The moon on Jan 31, 2018 was not one moon, it was 4 moons all rolled into one. It was a Full, Blue, Blood Red and a Partial Eclipse moon all on the same night. Now all fair dinkum fishos know how much the moon influences the feeding habits of our finny friends, so it is logical to assume that on this day they were going to go into a feeding frenzy. It is no wonder that I hit the Maroochy river on this day, hoping for a feed of supersized whiting. After a couple of forgettable trips recently, I wasn’t confident.

Consultation of my wonderful Willy Weather website showed a one-day window (try saying that after a couple of reds) before a big blow from the south was going to bring some bad weather up the coast. However, even the best laid plans don’t allow for Mother Nature’s intervention.

The tide was one of the highest of the year at 2.17m. I could hardly lift the anchor, on the run-out tide in the main river section, the current was so strong. The water was still a metre over the banks 2 hours after the start of the run back. I used surf worms for an hour or so, till I could pump some yabbies, but did not lose one worm bait. The coast line had been lashed by big seas for the past week or so caused by a cyclone out in the coral sea. This swell had obviously smashed the off shore weed banks like a giant food processor. A mixture of sea weed, big kelp chunks and dune vegetation was swept into the Maroochy river making it resemble a vast vegetable soup.

Finally, I was able to pump some yabbies and try for whiting at my usual haunts. The current was so strong, and the weed was so thick, it built up and clogged my sinker and my baited hook within a minute. I persisted for an hour or so but eventually admitted defeat and headed back to the ramp without a fish. As I moved over towards Picnic Point I noticed that the weed wasn’t so bad on that side of the river. I also remembered that I’d seen an old codger (probably about my age) land a couple of whiting in this area a couple of years ago. I picked a likely looking spot where the water was running fast past a good sand bank, forming quite good melon holes or undulations. I had wasted half my yabbies meanwhile but threw 2 baited lines out with light sinkers. The first line went off instantly and then the other one followed. A double hook up in seconds, after hours of frustrating failure. Imagine my glee when I boated 2 whiting at 28cm. The gods had smiled, in the next 40 mins I was kept busy with whiting and bream one after another. Some of the bream (all released) were quality fish around the 28cm mark. I cursed as I ran out of yabbies and tried some live surf worms, but they weren’t interested in them. I ducked quickly over to the 6 knots sign to pump some more yabs when I noticed that the soldier crabs had just started to come out. I scooped up a few in a bucket and headed back to the spot. Although the fast bite had subsided I still managed another 5 whiting to 33cm over the next 40 mins or so.

In the blink of an eye my fishing trip went from boiled lollies to old gold chocolates. I had landed 11 quality whiting and I also kept a couple of silverbiddies (see photo) which I will use in my worming berley bag. There is no doubt about it, the whiting are still there, in the lower reaches of the river, but luck sometimes must play its part for you to find their whereabouts. I am surprised at the number of bream in the river right now. Three flathead rose to my yabby on this trip so I would say they are well worth a try on this full moon phase (weather permitting).

If you want to share some of your fishing adventures or photos, please feel free to email me at malcolmmckinlay0@gmail.com. Good Luck, Mal McKinlay

Malcolm.jpg