Ph: 07 5449 8099
Davo's North Shore
938 David Low Way, Marcoola
Ph: 07 5448 8244
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 3 Apr 11

Post by Brad » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Fairly poor conditions for outside fishing but those that ventured scored some great catches of long nose and red throat emperor, grassy sweetlip and a stack of snapper and pearlies around Wide Caloundra on Saturday. Most hugged the closer reefs with great success but boy was it like a washing machine out there with a little 20knot wind just to wind things up. Mackerel were taken around Old Womens Island, the Inner Gneerings and Currimundi but no big numbers. The word of the week was in the estuaries and they are still firing. I must say I got my hands on some of the new Balista Cyclone lures and gave them a pounding over the weekend. The remarkable difference with these lures is that they have L.E.D Technology which simply means that at the end of the tail an LED light flashes when the circuit is complete by putting it in the water.

The Balista lures track very well and run to about 2metres under the water and are rigged to fish immediately, no need to change trebles or split rings. Let's face it that anything that can give you an edge is fantastic and they certainly did on this occassion. Seven casts and 3 fish which consisted of a trevally, longtom and an 820mm flathead. I had other flathead following the flashing light and just nudging the rear trebles but did not get hooked. Now these lures the Cyclone are recommended for mackerel, tuna, kingfish, trout just to name a few but I was surprised at what did hit them. I believe they will be fantastic on mulloway which I will test in the coming weeks and I will really test them on the mackerel when the weather permits. Check out the website http://www.balista.com.au and take a look. Anyway there are mulloway in the passage and flathead around the swimming area of the Pumistone Passage. Chopper tailor are in huge numbers and a light spin outfit with a 20 gram slug will do the job any morning or afternoon. Dart, tailor and trevally are also taking small slugs around Happy Valley and the northern tip of Bribie Island casting into the deeper water adn working the slug back over the shallow grounds.

Bream and trevally around the Boardwalk with a few being taken around Military Jetty and under the Pelican Waters bridge. Still mangrove jack under the pylons of McKenzies bridge and surrounding areas and remember to take a crab pot to sink while you are fishing. Small surface poppers and lures like Tango Dancers are accounting for tailor and trevally on the surface and the DOA prawns are fantastic for bottom fishing in both the Maroochy and Pumistone Passage. The cod hole has had some good catches of mulloway and bigger bream and fishing late into the evening has given anglers the best results. Estuary Cod are up around the mouth along with thousands of tailor that will take you bait very quickly. Whiting are all around and it is just a matter of finding the schools and in particular the sand banks around Twin Waters Resort have been productive. Blades are still worth a cast around the pylons and drop offs for flathead and bream. So overall this will be a great week for fishing so get out and have fun!
Attachments
Flathead.JPG
Mulloway.jpg