Ph: 07 5449 8099
Davo's North Shore
938 David Low Way, Marcoola
Ph: 07 5448 8244
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 20 Apr 11

Post by Brad » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:22 pm

Plenty of options for fishing around the Sunshine Coast at the moment so get set for a reasonable easter period. The weather may not be all that we hoped for but there are good numbers of fish in the estuaries and on the beaches at the moment. The Boardwalk at Caloundra will be packed over the break and rightly so. This spot is terrific for the kids and an incredible night spot for chasing big flathead, mulloway and tailor. Live poddy mullet if you can get them, big herring or large green prawns will help you to nail one of these tasty fish. Tailor are around the rocks and the deeper channel areas but most of them at the moment are only small and more chopper tailor than greenbacks. Work the pontoons around Gemini Towers and the Caloundra Coast Guard areas for flathead and quality bream and whiting on the low tides. Military Jetty is the number one spot to fish in the wee hours of the morning and you may hook onto anything from flathead to large jew. Check out the weed areas around Bell's for prawns and use a few to catch some nice bream.

The rocks at Kings beach are worth a cast with a fish bait for sweetlip and squire at the moment. Whiting can be targeting on the beach after the swimmers pack up and go home. The northern end of Kings beach is the better spot for that and if it is bream you want then head down towards the southern end at the rocks. Moffat beach is quiet but there have been a few reports of 35cm sweetlip being taken right of the ramp. Down the other northern end is a nice hole which should be perfect for bream and other species on the low tide. The Wurtulla beaches from Currimundi through to Point Cartwright will be the go for mulloway and tailor on the low tide in the evenings or on the last half hour of the making tide. Don't just use through in a pilchard on gang hooks try a paternosta rig and present two different baits until you are sure what is on the chew. There are plenty of small dart around and whiting in the holes so check out the beaches through the day and prepare for your night session.

Offshore will be on and off over the coming week but the closer in reef systems like Brays Rock. Gneerings Shoal and Murphy's are all producing sweetlip, red throat emperor and small squire at the moment. There are thousands of small pearl perch, snapper, hussar and rainbow runners around most of the reefs so be prepared to move if you are inundated early. They do not go away after dark but sometimes you may get smashed by a raging amberjack and be in for the fight of your life. Still mackerel around Old Women's Island and the Outer Gneerings but they are a bit hit and miss. My money would be to head up to Sunshine Reef or work the mackerel grounds around the Caloundra spoil grounds or out at the 7 & 12 mile reefs. Options a plenty so have a safe easter and catch plenty of fish.

Enjoyed a trip to Muphy's on Thursday night 21 Apr 11 and caught heaps of pearl perch and big moses perch along with some nice squire. We also hooked some big squid for eating over Easter.
Attachments
matilda 005.jpg
Flounder caught at Murphys last week.

J.CARROLL

Re: Weekly Report 20 Apr 11

Post by J.CARROLL » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi Brad,
I have just moved to Brisbane with my two son's 12, and 14 and 5.20 Stacer Bowrider from Townsville, chasing the mackeral which was a great day/weekend. I have been reading your articles where you have mentioned the mackeral off Old Women's Island. Could you breifly advise me as I am new to area, where the best ramp is to launch from the best route to the Island, anything that I should be WARY of in the local waters. Your input to these questions will be muchly appreciated.

Cheers Jamie Carroll

Francol

Re: Weekly Report 20 Apr 11

Post by Francol » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:04 pm

Good day! No doubt, rock fishing is dangerous if appropriate care isn't taken. I'm going to take my 14-year-old son with me.. isn't he young enough for that trip? if not, then what measures would you recommend us to take?