Ph: 07 5449 8099
Davo's North Shore
938 David Low Way, Marcoola
Ph: 07 5448 8244
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 16 Oct 11

Post by Brad » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:58 am

Big tidal flows created by the moon phase seems to have really sparked the fish into biting this week on the Sunshine Coast. Pearl perch have been showing up in good numbers particularly around WIde & Caloundra 12 mile reefs. Caloundra has also had a run of mackerel coming out of the bay. Amberjack and a few kingfish have been caught on the pinnacles around the 80m line and I am told they were very thick on Thursday afternoon. The Inner Gneerings has quality snapper being taken on sunset using soft plastics. A few cod have also hit the plastics around Murphys and further along the Gneerings reef system. One thing about the Gneerings is it is in close and there are normally good fish working the rocky areas but the best time to fish them is early morning or late afternoon. Currimundi reef is the spot to float out a few baits for mackerel and may be a sheltered spot for the coming rough weather. Strong south easterlies are predicted for this week and moderate seas so plan your trip accordingly.

It may be worth a run out through Mooloolaba over to Old Women's Island to chase some tuna schools. Normally the bay area remains flat because it is protected from the south easterly. Still reports of good cobia being taken in all the usual haunts and a few mulloway were caught right in the mouth of the Caloundra Bar in the later part of the week using live mullet. The bream are about particularly around the pontoons and jetty areas within the passage and Maroochydore river system. Whiting have certainly come on in numbers and fishing close to the weed beds on the western side of the channel past Bell's Creek will normally get you a feed. Use your sounder to work out the drop off area that is close to the thick weed beds because thats where the whiting will be. Flathead around Military Jetty and big females are still being caught using live pike and herring around the Boardwalk. The cod hole is producing trevally and bream and if you are prepared to travel up river, set your crab pots for a feed of muddies.

This week see's me reach 12 years selling Real Estate on the Sunshine Coast and I have enjoyed every minute of it. I have moved to Caloundra Real Estate in the Golden Beach Office because they have been established for a long time and enjoy a good reputation, so pop in and say hi sometime. There are days where I talk about nothing but fishing and I think that is great. Have Fun!