Ph: 07 5449 8099
Davo's North Shore
938 David Low Way, Marcoola
Ph: 07 5448 8244
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 3 Sep 12

Post by Brad » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:22 pm

What a weekend start to the new week across the board on the Sunshine Coast. The reefs have provided some excellent activity with good catches of snapper, tuskfish, pearl perch and some monster cobia, yellowtail kingfish and amberjack. Now that may seem a little too much but it is happening right on your doorstep. Amberjack are patrolling the pearl perch grounds taking fish straight off you line in around 60 plus metres of water. Known wrecks are the spot to target the cobia and I can assure you that there are big fish in amongst them along with an average size of around 8kg-10kg. Live bait is the best way to go so get your hands onto some yakkas and slimie mackerel before hitting the cobia haunts. Snapper and pearl perch are around both the inner reefs and the wider ones. Fishing for them is just a matter of a paternosta rig with a pilchard or squid piece on your hook and hang on. I personnally prefer a floating rig with a full fillet of fish or whole pilchard when targeting snapper. Allowing it to drift down the berley trail gives it a more life like presentation and lets the fish smash it when it wants.

The estuaries will be the place for the later part of the week because of the windy and rough weather ahead. Check out some of the big flathead that are on within the systems but remember, they are the breading stock and a picture lasts longer. Soft plastics such as 4" jerk shads and smaller hard bodied lures are superb baits to test the resolve of these hard hitters. A diving minnow is my favorite for flathead as they continually spray up sand making the fish extra excited and more likely to hit it. Failing that fresh or live bait is outstanding and you can not go past a live herring or poddy mullet to attrack them. Tailor are still within the estuaries along with quality bream and tarwhine. Some trevally around the Boardwalk in Caloundra and plenty of whiting and flathead amongst the Happy Valley area. Overall a good week ahead for fishermen so I hope to see you out there sometime. Have Fun!